Calculating σ for Woolen Scarves: Normal Distribution Help

In summary, the supervisor of a woollen mill wants to check the lengths of scarves produced by a new employee, Jane. A sample of 20 scarves is taken and the sum of their lengths is 1428 cm, with a sum of squares of 102286 cm. The owners of the mill require that 90% of scarves should be within 10 cm of the mean length. To find the value of σ that satisfies this condition, the equation P(|\overline{X}| < 10) = 0.9 is used. After some calculations, the value of σ is found to be 6.079 cm. This is achieved by using the value of z for which P(Z > z)
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member
A woollen mill produces scarves. The mill has several machines each operated by a different person. Jane has recently started working at the mill and the supervisor wishes to check the lengths of the scarves Jane is producing. A random sample of 20 scarves is taken and the length, x cm, of each scarf is recorded. The results are summarised as:

∑x = 1428, ∑x² = 102286

The mill's owners require that 90% of scarves should be within 10 cm of the mean length.

Find the value of σ that would satisfy this condition.

I considered

[tex]P(|\overline{X}| < 10) = 0.9[/tex]

but that didn't get me anywhere. And I tried confidence intervals with the t-distribution but that didn't work. Their answer is 6.079. How did they get it?

Their only line of working is "10 = 1.6449σ". I recognise that 1.6449 is the value of z for which P(Z > z) = 0.05, but I don't understand how they formed that equation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, got it...

What is a normal distribution?

A normal distribution is a type of probability distribution that is characterized by a symmetric, bell-shaped curve. It is often used to model naturally occurring phenomena, such as the heights of people or the scores on a test.

What are the properties of a normal distribution?

The properties of a normal distribution include a mean, median, and mode that are all equal and located at the center of the curve. The curve is symmetric and bell-shaped, with the majority of data falling within one standard deviation of the mean.

How is the normal distribution calculated?

The normal distribution is calculated using a mathematical formula called the normal density function, which takes into account the mean and standard deviation of a set of data. This formula allows for the calculation of the probability of a certain value falling within a certain range.

Why is the normal distribution important?

The normal distribution is important because it is used to model many real-world phenomena and is the basis for many statistical tests and analyses. It also allows for the estimation of probabilities and the comparison of data to a standard distribution.

What is the difference between a normal distribution and a standard normal distribution?

A standard normal distribution is a specific type of normal distribution where the mean is 0 and the standard deviation is 1. This allows for easier calculation and comparison of data, as all values are converted to a standard scale. A normal distribution, on the other hand, can have any mean and standard deviation.