1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal Distribution Help

1. Apr 8, 2012 #1

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

A woollen mill produces scarves. The mill has several machines each operated by a different person. Jane has recently started working at the mill and the supervisor wishes to check the lengths of the scarves Jane is producing. A random sample of 20 scarves is taken and the length, x cm, of each scarf is recorded. The results are summarised as:

∑x = 1428, ∑x² = 102286

The mill's owners require that 90% of scarves should be within 10 cm of the mean length.

Find the value of σ that would satisfy this condition.

I considered

[tex]P(|\overline{X}| < 10) = 0.9[/tex]

but that didn't get me anywhere. And I tried confidence intervals with the t-distribution but that didn't work. Their answer is 6.079. How did they get it?

Their only line of working is "10 = 1.6449σ". I recognise that 1.6449 is the value of z for which P(Z > z) = 0.05, but I don't understand how they formed that equation.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2012 #2

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

Never mind, got it...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook