1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal distribution problem

1. Apr 4, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A student sits a test and is told that the marks follow a normal distribution with mean 100. The student receives a mark of 124 and is told that he is at the 68th percentile. Calculate the variance of the distribution.

2. Relevant equations
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/XW4iFBVEU-T7v_I-U5zV6mo7CvCYxVfS6kbEiAuBBsiEcJWb-P7AHpF6ciRBv4skZW5pqDilEHh9F5zdeCfu0N0ztdfDS_lm-A=w685-h215-nc

3. The attempt at a solution
    I replaced 0.68 for f (x) and 100 for μ and 124 for x. I tried to rearange to solve for σ but was unsuccessful only getting as far as,
    0.553 = -288/σ^2 - lnσ
    I think my approach might be completely wrong, or is there a way of doing this with the aid of a graphic calculator?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your ##f##-formula is incorrect: is should be
    [tex] f(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi} \delta} e^{- \displaystyle \frac{(x-\mu)^2}{2 \delta^2}} [/tex]
    Anyway, that is not relevant for this problem: a percentile is a point on the cumulative distribution, not on the probability density function.

There is no closed-form formula for the cumulative distribution, so you need to use tables of the cumulative, or use appropriate software. Some scientific calculators even have a "normal cumulative" button.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  4. Apr 4, 2016 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your formula shows the PDF for the normal distribution with mean μ and SD δ. The percentile of the student's score represents the area under the PDF distribution curve from -∞ to x. For example, the 50th percentile means that x = μ. Like Ray Vickson posted, you'll have to use standard normal tables to find out the SD.

5. Apr 4, 2016 #4
    ∫ f (x)dx=0.68

Where f (x) is the PDF

Will this work as a definite integral from 0 to 124 and I try to solve again for σ ?
    Well this seemed like it would work until I actually tried to integrate it:)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  6. Apr 4, 2016 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, that's not how the standard normal tables are constructed.

The standard normal distribution has μ = 0 and δ = 1.0. In order to accommodate normal distributions with other values of μ and δ, a transformation formula is used:

##Z = \frac{x-μ}{δ}##

The total area under the standard normal distribution curve is

##\int_{-∞}^{+∞} f(Z)dZ = 1.0##,

but since the curve is symmetrical about μ = 0

##\int_{-∞}^0 f(Z)dZ = 0.5##

Knowing the value of the cumulative distribution, you want to find Z which corresponds to that amount from a standard normal table, like this one:

https://www.mathsisfun.com/data/standard-normal-distribution-table.html

Once you find the correct Z value, then using the student's score and the mean of the distribution, you should be able to work back and solve for the S.D., δ.

7. Apr 4, 2016 #6
    So I set it up so that
    P (X≤124) = 0.68
    and
    P (Z≤(124-100)/σ)
    Using invNorm on my calculator for the standard (z) distribution I found
    (124-100)/σ≈0.468
    σ≈51.3
    Variance = 10051
    Nice :)

Thank you

8. Apr 4, 2016 #7

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Everything looks OK, except the variance should be equal to σ2. IDK how you got 10051.

9. Apr 4, 2016 #8
    Your right, I must have put the wrong number in the calculator.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted