1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal Distribution Question

1. Jul 3, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that X ~ N(μ,σ). Find a in terms of μ and σ if P(X>a) = 1/3 * P(X ≤a)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1 - P(X ≤a) = 1/3 * P(X ≤a)
    3 = 4P(X ≤a)
    P(X ≤a) = 3/4

Since x0 = μ + σz0 where x0 and z0 are the same percentile for N(μ,σ) and N(0,1) (respectively), then z0 = 0.67449 (by invNorm(0.75, 0, 1)). It follows that

a = μ + 0.67449σ

I'm not sure if this is the correct method, someone in my class solved it another way and got a different answer, but this seems to make sense to me.

Regards,

Michael

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2017 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

I agree with your solution. Also please read my last comments on your Poisson distribution problem of last week. I think you'll find them of interest. That was actually the first time I had looked at the Poisson distribution in this much detail, and the two methods of solving the same problem are both quite interesting.

4. Jul 3, 2017 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is the correct method, and the answer is correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted