Approx. Probability of 20 Chips with Lifetime < 1.8M Hours in a Batch of 100

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of a batch of 100 interactive computer chips containing at least 20 with lifetimes less than 1.8*10^6 hours. The solution involves using normal distribution to approximate binomial distribution and calculating the probability using the continuity correction. The use of binomial approximation is discussed as an alternative to tedious calculations.
wu_weidong
Hi all,
I need help with a problem.

The lifetimes of interactive computer chips are normally distributed with mean u = 1.4 * 10^6 hours and sigma = 3 * 10^5 hours. What is the approximate probability that a batch of 100 chips will contain at least 20 whose lifetimes are less than 1.8 * 10^6.

Here is what I did:

Let X be the lifetime of a chip, and Y be the number of chips whose lifetimes are less than 1.8 * 10^6.

X ~ N(1.4 * 10^6, (3 * 10^5)^2)
P(X < 1.8 * 10^6) = P(Z < ((1.8 * 10^6 - 1.4 * 10^6) / 3 * 10^5)) = P(Z < 1.33) = 0.9082

np = 100 * 0.9082 = 90.82
np(1-p) = 100 * 0.9082 * 0.0918 = 8.337
Y ~ N(90.82, 8.337)
Using normal distribution to approximate binomial distribution,
P(Y >= 20) = P(Y >= 19.5) (continuity correction) = P(Z >= ((19.5 - 90.82) / sqrt(8.337)) = P(Z >= -24.7)

At this point, I'm stuck, because I can't find a value for P(Z >= -24.7).

What have I done wrong?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Regards,
Rayne

Physics news on Phys.org
Why even use a binomial approximation?
Let Y denote the number of computer chips whose lifetimes are less than 1.8*10^6. Then Y~Bin(100, 0.9082).

Because then I would have to calculate 20 terms of (100 C r)*(0.9082)^r * 0.0918^100-r --- from r = 0 to r = 19. I thought using an approximation would make the calculations much less tedious.

Last edited:

What does "Approx. Probability of 20 Chips with Lifetime < 1.8M Hours in a Batch of 100" mean?

This statement is referring to the likelihood of 20 chips in a batch of 100 having a lifetime (or durability) of less than 1.8 million hours. This is a measure of the reliability of the chips in the batch.

How is the probability of 20 chips with a lifetime < 1.8M hours calculated?

This probability is calculated using statistical analysis and mathematical models based on the known failure rates of the chips. It also takes into account the batch size, which in this case is 100 chips.

What does the "approx." in the statement mean?

The "approx." stands for "approximately" and indicates that the probability is an estimation based on the available data and calculations. It may not be an exact value, but it is a close approximation.

What does a higher probability value indicate?

A higher probability value indicates a higher likelihood of the chips in the batch having a shorter lifetime. In other words, there is a higher chance that at least 20 out of the 100 chips will fail before reaching 1.8 million hours of use.

Why is this information important in a scientific context?

In the field of science, reliability and durability are crucial factors in the performance of electronic devices. Knowing the probability of chips failing in a batch can help scientists make informed decisions about which chips to use in experiments or studies, and also in predicting the lifespan of electronic systems.