1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal distribution

1. Aug 27, 2008 #1
    A normal distribution can be completely defined by two parameters - the mean and the standard deviation. Given a normal distribution however, say X, how can I use just the mean and the standard deviation to give me conditional expected values for X<=0 and for X>0? Im guessing the distribution can be standardised to obtain a z-statistic.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2008 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

"Given a normal distribution however, say X" - I assume you mean that the variable [tex] X [/tex] has a normal distribution. Are both [tex] \mu [/tex] and [tex] \sigma [/tex] known?

"how can I use just the mean and the standard deviation to give me conditional expected values for [tex] X \le 0 [/tex] and for [tex] X>0 [/tex] ?"
    This doesn't make sense to me as it stands. In statistics we take expected values of some function of a random variable - can you elaborate on what it is you seek?

4. Aug 27, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If X has normal distribution with mean [itex]\mu[/itex] and standard deviation [itex]\sigma[/itex] then [itex]z= (x- \mu)/\sigma[/itex] has the standard normal distribution. As statdad said, "conditional expected values for X< 0 and X> 0" makes no sense." I might interpret as "suppose X a standard normal distribution, restricted to be larger than 0. What is the the expected value of X?"

That would be
    [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int_0^\infty x e^{-x^2}dx= \frac{1}{2\sqrt{\pi}}[/tex]
    The general problem, with non-zero mean or standard deviation not 1 would be a much harder integral.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?