Is the Normal Force on m2 Affected by Vertical Acceleration in Different Cases?

In summary, normal force against a wall is the perpendicular force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it. It is calculated using the formula N = mgcosθ and always acts at a 90 degree angle to the surface. It can be greater than the weight of the object and helps support objects and determine their motion.
Like Tony Stark
Homework Statement
Suppose two cases:
1) The room shown in the picture is static, and so are the blocks in it.
2) The room is being accelerated to the right, and the blocks are static with respect to each other
Relevant Equations
Newton's equations
I want you to tell me if I'm right

For 1), does ##m_2## feel a normal force? Because I don't think so, since it isn't pushing the wall.

For 2), ##m_2## suffers a normal force because it feels a pseudo-force to the left and so it pushes the wall

Attachments

• 20191004_195022.jpg
    20191004_195022.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 237
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are correct about the normal force on m2 for both cases. The vertical acceleration is different for case 1 & 2, but I don't think that affects the normal force between m2 and the wall.

Likes Like Tony Stark

1. What is the normal force against a wall?

The normal force against a wall is the force that an object exerts on the wall when it is in contact with it. It is perpendicular to the surface of the wall and acts to prevent the object from passing through the wall.

2. How is the normal force against a wall calculated?

The normal force against a wall is calculated using the equation FN = m * g * cosθ, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle between the object's weight and the wall's surface.

3. Does the normal force against a wall always equal the weight of the object?

No, the normal force against a wall is not always equal to the weight of the object. It only equals the weight of the object when the object is at rest and the wall is completely vertical. If the object is moving or the wall is at an angle, the normal force will be less than the weight of the object.

4. How does the normal force against a wall affect the object?

The normal force against a wall affects the object by providing support and preventing it from falling or passing through the wall. It also allows the object to exert a reaction force on the wall, which allows it to stay in equilibrium.

5. Can the normal force against a wall ever be negative?

No, the normal force against a wall cannot be negative. It always acts in the direction perpendicular to the wall's surface and therefore cannot have a negative value. If the object is pushing against the wall, the normal force will be positive, and if the object is being pulled away from the wall, the normal force will be zero.