When to Use Conservation of Energy and Work Energy Theorem

In summary, for a small mass sliding without friction along a looped apparatus with a release height of 2h, the normal force exerted by the track at different points can be calculated using the conservation of mechanical energy formula. At the bottom of the loop, the normal force is 11mg, at the top it is 5mg, and after the block exits onto the flat section it is mg. It is important to use the conservation of energy formula when there is only one force acting on the object, while the work energy theorem is used when multiple forces are involved. In order to solve for the normal force at the top of the loop, the formula F_n + mg = (mv^2)/r can be used,
Soaring Crane
A small mass m slides without friction along the looped apparatus.

If the mass is to remain on the track at all times, even at the top of the loop of radius r.

If the release height is 2h,

calculate the normal force

a. exerted by the the track at the bottom of the loop. 11mg
b. exerted by the track at the top of the loop. 5 mg
c. exerted by the track after the block exits the loop onto the flat section. mg

I know the conservation of mechanical energy is used, but I do not know how to tie it in with solving to find the normal force.

Please help me in any way possible. Thanks.

How do you know when to use the conservation of energy formula and the work energy theorem?

Physics news on Phys.org
The component of gravity along the normal+plus the normal force must yield the centripetal acceleration of the object.

Soaring Crane said:
How do you know when to use the conservation of energy formula and the work energy theorem?

When there is only one force acting on the object, you can use the Work Energy Theorem (for example, a cart along a path with neglible friction). However, when a spring is used, with e.g. Elastic energy and gravitational energy (kinetic as well), you must use the conservation of energy.

I know at the top that F_n + mg = (mv^2)/r, but must I set it up in accord with the conservation of energy theorem. If so, how?

Determine v by using conservation of energy.

1. What is normal force?

Normal force is the force exerted by a surface on an object that is in contact with it. It is perpendicular to the surface and helps support the weight of the object.

2. How is normal force related to energy?

Normal force is a conservative force, meaning it does not dissipate energy. It can transfer energy to other forms, such as kinetic energy, but it does not create or destroy energy.

3. Does normal force affect the motion of an object?

Yes, normal force can affect the motion of an object. It can provide the necessary force to keep an object at rest or to change its direction or speed.

4. What factors affect the magnitude of the normal force?

The magnitude of the normal force depends on the weight of the object, the angle of the surface, and any other forces acting on the object, such as friction or applied forces.

5. How is normal force different from other types of forces?

Normal force is unique because it is always perpendicular to the surface of contact and does not produce any rotational effects on an object. It is also a contact force, meaning it only exists when two objects are in direct contact.