1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal Force Going to Zero

1. Apr 22, 2005 #1
    I need help on a physics problem I've been working on...

A skier starts at rest at the top of a large hemispherical hill with radius (height) = R. Neglecting friction, show that the skier will leave the hill and become airborne at the distance of h = R/3 below the top of the hill.

I understand that at the point the skier goes airborne, the normal force is zero, but how do I conceptually show it? When it's at the crest of the hill, there are obviously two vertical forces in play: the weight of the skier (downward) and the normal force (upward).

So the question, once again, is how do I show specifically (to prove) that the skier goes airborne at height = 3/R.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2005 #2
    Physics,

Can you find an equation for the normal force as a function of the skier's angular position, where angle is measured from the vertical. In other words he starts at theta=0 and flies off somewhere between theta=0 and theta=90degs? You need an equation for the normal force in terms of theta.

4. Apr 23, 2005 #3
    like it was said by jdavel, you need to know the angle. if you do a "free body diagram", you will notice that :
    [tex] mg \cdot \cos \theta - N = m \cdot \frac{V^2}{R} \rightarrow \cos \theta = \frac{ \frac{V^2}{R} + N}{g} [/tex]

5. Apr 23, 2005 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

more hints

Since you are asked to find the point of departure in terms of height h below the hilltop, rewrite [itex]\cos\theta[/itex] in terms of h and R. Hint: You'll need to use conservation of energy.

6. Apr 27, 2005 #5
    *Correction**

The skier goes airborne at height h= R/3

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?