Normal force of a block with a massless rope

In summary, Natasha pulls a 19kg box of books with a massless rope and applies a 225N force at 16 degrees above the horizontal. The coefficients of friction between the box and floor are μs :0.55 and μk : 0.30. She finds the magnitude of the normal force by the floor on the box of books and after finding the normal force, finds the magnitude of the box's acceleration as it begins to move from rest.
Johns24

Homework Statement

Mass of block: 19kg
Applied force: 225N at 16 degrees to accelerate block from rest
Coefficient of static: 0.55
Coefficient of kinetic: 0.30

Homework Equations

Unknown

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved for parallel tension and perpendicular tension

Tperp = sin(16)225N = 62.0N
Tpar = cos(16)225N = 216.3N

I am unsure if I need these values, but I need to solve for the normal force of the block

Physics news on Phys.org
To my mind, discussing such problems without a vector diagram (free body diagram) of what's going on is a total waste of time.

Likes CWatters
Johns24 said:
I am unsure if I need these values, but I need to solve for the normal force of the block

You will need them but I agree with phinds.

You can use MS Paint or any free drawing program for FBD diagrams. Doesn't need to be a work of art.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fJoJTl7sSu4mOEl2h1QmuIji5VtV294P

Johns24 said:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fJoJTl7sSu4mOEl2h1QmuIji5VtV294P
This link says it requires permission. Post your figure HERE, not there.

sorry for that, had to change the file type. thank you for the persistance

Attachments

• FBD.png
    FBD.png
    494 bytes · Views: 377
Johns24 said:
sorry for that, had to change the file type. thank you for the persistance
The image is tiny. If I expand it to a decent size the text is illegible.
Please quote the question exactly as given to you. If you cannot find a way to upload a reasonable diagram then provide a clear description of the set-up.

Natasha uses a massless rope to pull a 19kg box of books, which is initially at rest, across a rough floor by applying a 225N force at 16 degrees above the horizontal. the coefficients of friction between the box and floor are μs :0.55 and μk : 0.30. What is the magnitude of the normal force by the floor on the box of books? After finding the Normal Force, find the magnitude of the box's acceleration as it begins to move from rest.

the vector NF,B is directed straight up, with the vector WE,B straight down. a small force of FkT,Bis aimed straight to the left, while the Tension force of TR,B is to right at an angle of 16 degrees.

Ok so in the OP you correctly calculated the vertical (Tperp) and horizontal (Tpar) components of the applied force. Now can you write equation for the total vertical force on the box?

Im not sure what the equation is.

Johns24 said:
Im not sure what the equation is.
The usual one, ΣF=ma.
Is there any vertical acceleration?

haruspex said:
The usual one, ΣF=ma.
Is there any vertical acceleration?
I do not believe so.

I solved this problem, thanks to all for the help.
The answer was 124.2 Newtons

Johns24 said:
I solved this problem, thanks to all for the help.
The answer was 124.2 Newtons
Right.

1. What is normal force?

Normal force is the force that a surface exerts on an object in contact with it. It is always perpendicular to the surface and prevents the object from sinking into or passing through the surface.

2. How is normal force related to the mass of an object?

The normal force is dependent on the mass of an object in the sense that the heavier the object, the greater the normal force required to support it. However, the mass itself does not directly affect the magnitude of the normal force.

3. Can a massless rope exert a normal force?

No, a massless rope cannot exert a normal force. This is because the normal force is a contact force and a massless rope does not make contact with the object. The tension force in a massless rope is always parallel to the rope and does not have a component perpendicular to the surface to exert a normal force.

4. How does the angle of the rope affect the normal force on the block?

The angle of the rope does not directly affect the normal force on the block. As long as the rope is taut and not slack, the normal force remains the same regardless of the angle. However, the angle of the rope can affect the tension force in the rope, which in turn can affect the normal force if the rope is attached to the surface.

5. What happens to the normal force if the block is on an inclined plane?

The normal force on a block on an inclined plane is always perpendicular to the surface of the plane. The magnitude of the normal force is equal to the component of the weight of the block that is perpendicular to the plane. As the angle of the inclined plane increases, the normal force decreases, eventually becoming zero when the plane becomes vertical.