• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Normal force of the box

A 10.0-kg box is placed on top of the 19.0-kg box, as shown in the figure. Determine the normal force that the 19.0-kg box exerts on the 10.0-kg box.

i know what the normal force of the 19 kg box. i am having problem setting these kind of problems.

Answers and Replies

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
What happens to the 10 kg box if the normal force is greater than 10 kg * 9.81 m/s^2 ?

What is the normal force on the 19 kg box with the 10 kg box sitting on top?

it would me greater then the mg right so the Fnet wouldn't be zero?

Would it the normal force of the two boxes or together?

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
If the normal force is greater than the weight of the box, the box will want to travel upward, F = ma and all that.

These types of problems are best analyzed by drawing free body diagrams of the boxes and applying the known forces to them. Once that is accomplished, the equations of equilibrium can be written and solved.

If the normal force is greater than the weight of the box, the box will want to travel upward, F = ma and all that.

These types of problems are best analyzed by drawing free body diagrams of the boxes and applying the known forces to them. Once that is accomplished, the equations of equilibrium can be written and solved.
so mg would be downward on both of the boxes and the normal force would be upward for both right?

so would the normal force being exerted be 98.0N?

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member