Normal Force on a Ferris Wheel

In summary, the calculation for the normal force acting upon a person at the top of a ferris wheel with a radius of 60 meters and traveling at a rate of 25 meters/second requires knowledge of the mass, which is not given in the problem. However, it is possible to calculate the g-force in this situation without knowing the mass.
thekeyofheart

Homework Statement

What is the normal force acting upon a person at the top of a ferris wheel that has a radius of 60 meters, and is traveling at a rate of 25 meters/second?

Homework Equations

Centripital acceleration = velocity²/radius

Centripetal Force = Gravity Force - Normal Force

Normal Force = mv²/rtmg

Gravity Force = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

The only way I know of to solve this problem is if the mass is known, but in this question the mass is not given.

Centripital acceleration = 10.42 m/s²

I tried drawing a free body force diagram

What is the next thing I should be considering?

Attachments

• FerrisWheel.JPG
    FerrisWheel.JPG
    7.9 KB · Views: 3,837
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi thekeyofheart! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Well, you're certainly right … you do need to know the mass to calculate N :confused:

I think you'll have to call the mass "m", and give an answer as a multiple of m.

(unless :rolleyes: … perhaps the question is asking for the "g-force", which is really the acceleration as a multiple of g, and for which, of course, you don't need the mass)

tiny-tim said:
Hi thekeyofheart! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Well, you're certainly right … you do need to know the mass to calculate N :confused:

I think you'll have to call the mass "m", and give an answer as a multiple of m.

(unless :rolleyes: … perhaps the question is asking for the "g-force", which is really the acceleration as a multiple of g, and for which, of course, you don't need the mass)

Thank you for the welcome, tiny-tim! I have been a follower for a while, but I only recently made an account, and this was my first post.

I know I tend to overanalyze stuff like this, and I kept trying to figure out a way to complete the problem without knowing the mass. I am using m as a variable, and when I get the expected answer I will report back =)

Thank you for your advice!

What is normal force on a Ferris wheel?

The normal force on a Ferris wheel is the force that acts perpendicularly to the surface of the wheel, preventing the rider from falling off. It is equal in magnitude to the weight of the rider.

How does the normal force change on a Ferris wheel?

The normal force on a Ferris wheel changes as the rider moves from the bottom of the wheel to the top. At the bottom, the normal force is at its maximum as it needs to counteract the weight of the rider. At the top, the normal force decreases as the rider's weight is partially counteracted by the centripetal force of the wheel.

What factors affect the normal force on a Ferris wheel?

The normal force on a Ferris wheel is affected by the weight of the rider, the speed of the wheel, and the radius of the wheel. As the weight or speed increases, the normal force also increases. However, as the radius of the wheel increases, the normal force decreases.

Why is the normal force important on a Ferris wheel?

The normal force is important on a Ferris wheel as it ensures the safety of the riders by keeping them from falling off. It also helps to maintain the circular motion of the wheel by providing the necessary centripetal force.

How can the normal force be calculated on a Ferris wheel?

The normal force on a Ferris wheel can be calculated by using the equation FN = mg + mac, where FN is the normal force, m is the mass of the rider, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and ac is the centripetal acceleration of the wheel.