Solving Normal Force Problem: Find Fn with Ks=46.0 J, v=4.50m/s

In summary, the problem involves a block moving up a frictionless ramp with an x-axis extending upward. The graph provided shows the kinetic energy of the block as a function of position x, with a scale of 46.0 J. The block's initial speed is 4.50 m/s and the normal force on the block is being calculated. The equation Fn=mg is used, but since the block is not at rest on a horizontal ramp, the equation is modified to Fn=mgcos(theta). The angle theta can be determined using the kinetic energy theorem and trigonometry.
phy5ic5

Homework Statement

A block is sent up a frictionless ramp along which an x-axis extends upward. The figure below gives the kinetic energy of the block as a function of position x; the scale of the figure's vertical axis is set by Ks = 46.0 J. If the block's initial speed is 4.50 m/s, what is the normal force on the block?

Homework Equations

Fn=mg
K=(1/2)m(v^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Solved K=(1/2)m(v^2) for m and got 4.54 kg.
Plugged m into Fn=mg.

I got 44.5 N but this is not correct. What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• graph.gif
    graph.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 1,164
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
file:///C:/Users/Alyssa/Desktop/graph.gif

re-post the file as an attachment so i can see it please.

Sorry about that- it's up there now.

phy5ic5 said:
Sorry about that- it's up there now.

Is there any other drawing or no?

The only figure given was the graph.

Well, if you want to start, you will first have to draw a ramp and place your block on it, then draw a y-axis and an x-axis .

And you can represent the function as : [tex]K(J)=46-23x[/tex]

I've done all the initial steps I just don't know how to get the Fn.

phy5ic5 said:
I've done all the initial steps I just don't know how to get the Fn.

Well remember that Fn=mg only if an object is at rest on a horizontal ramp. In your case

[tex]F_{n}=mgcos(\theta)[/tex]

but what would theta be? no angle was given...

phy5ic5 said:

Were you given the answer?

Last edited:
i wasn't given any answer

ok to find the angle do the following:

[tex]E_{k(1)}-E_{k(2)}=W_{p}[/tex]

and at 2 meters the kinetic energy is zero so that means the action stopped at 2 meters. You will have [tex]E_{k(2)}=0[/tex]and even more help :) : [tex]K_{s}=mgABcos(\frac{\pi}{2}+\theta)[/tex]

Last edited:
[tex]\frac{K_{s}}{-mgAB}=cos(\frac{\pi}{2}+\theta)[/tex]

I still don't quite understand what I have to plug in and where.. Like where are the A and B coming from?

AB is the distance from the beginning of the action until the end of the action. In your case its 2 meters because the kinetic energy at 2 meters on the graph is 0; Wp is the work. Do you understand now?

phy5ic5 said:

As the block moves up the ramp, the kinetic energy is converted to potential energy.

You can thus work out how high the block reaches.
To reach that height it had to travel 2m up the ramp.
You can use trig to find the angle.

PeterO said:
As the block moves up the ramp, the kinetic energy is converted to potential energy.

You can thus work out how high the block reaches.
To reach that height it had to travel 2m up the ramp.
You can use trig to find the angle.

Yea, but since he's doing physics work he should find the angle by using the kinetic energy theorem.

1. What is the formula for calculating normal force?

The formula for calculating normal force is Fn = m * g, where m is the mass of the object and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How do I find the value of Ks in a normal force problem?

Ks, also known as the spring constant, can be found by dividing the force applied to a spring by the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. In this case, since the value of Ks is given as 46.0 J, it is not necessary to calculate it.

3. Why is velocity (v) included in the equation for normal force?

Velocity (v) is included in the equation for normal force because it represents the speed at which the object is moving. This speed affects the amount of force the object exerts on a surface when it comes in contact with it.

4. How do I solve for Fn using the given values?

To solve for Fn using the given values of Ks and v, you can use the formula Fn = (1/2) * Ks * v^2. Plug in the values of Ks (46.0 J) and v (4.50m/s) into the formula and solve for Fn.

5. Can the normal force ever be negative?

No, the normal force can never be negative. It is a contact force that acts perpendicular to the surface an object is resting on. If the surface is horizontal, the normal force will be equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force of gravity, but it will always be positive.