Normal Force Ramps: Solving m's Motion Problem

In summary, the problem involves a small block of mass m on a rough, sloping side of a triangular block of mass M on a frictionless table. The coefficient of static friction is u. The minimum horizontal force F needed to cause the small block to move up the incline is to be determined. The normal force between the ramp and the block must be taken into account, with some of the applied force F contributing to it. A diagram of the problem and a freebody diagram would help clarify the solution.
nothilaryy
Problem: A small block of mass m rests on the rough, sloping side of a triangular block of mass M which itself rests on a horizontal frictionless table. If the coefficient of static friction is u determine the minimum horizontal force F applied to ramp M that will cause the small block m to start moving up the incline.

I'm pretty sure I know how to go about solving the problem, but after thinking about it so much I'm afraid I'm confusing myself about the normal force between the ramp and the block. Would I be correct in stating that I have to take in account part of the applied force F for the normal force? Or is it just m*g*sin(angle of ramp) for the block? I'm not sure I've ever done a problem that involves looking at both sides of a normal force. Let me know if you need a diagram of the problem or more proof of my thinking/work (believe me, I have plenty)

Physics news on Phys.org
if you show us your work would be more clear and if you use freedody diagram would be better.

I attached my freebody diagrams. Sorry for the iffy MS paint quality.

Attachments

• physicsramp.bmp
    240.7 KB · Views: 532

1. What is normal force on a ramp?

Normal force on a ramp is the perpendicular force exerted by the ramp on an object placed on its surface. It is equal in magnitude to the weight of the object and acts in the opposite direction to the force of gravity.

2. How does normal force affect an object's motion on a ramp?

The normal force on a ramp helps to balance the force of gravity acting on an object, allowing it to maintain a stable position on the ramp. It also provides the necessary force for the object to move up or down the ramp, depending on the angle of incline.

3. How do you calculate the normal force on a ramp?

To calculate the normal force on a ramp, you can use the formula FN = mgcosθ, where FN is the normal force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of incline.

4. What is the relationship between the normal force and the angle of incline on a ramp?

The normal force on a ramp is directly proportional to the angle of incline. As the angle of incline increases, so does the normal force. This means that the steeper the ramp, the greater the normal force required to balance the force of gravity.

5. How does the normal force affect the acceleration of an object on a ramp?

The normal force on a ramp does not directly affect the acceleration of an object. However, it does play a role in determining the net force on the object, which in turn affects its acceleration. If the normal force is greater than the force of gravity, the object will accelerate up the ramp. If the normal force is less than the force of gravity, the object will accelerate down the ramp.