1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal Force

1. Oct 29, 2006 #1
    I'm trying to think up situations that will help me understand more complicated situations...

Let's say I have:

a box
    on a slanted slope
    on a chair
    on the floor

The floor exerts a normal force on the chair. But, equal to what?

is it:

a box [tex]m_{1}gcos\theta[/tex]

on a slanted slope [tex]m_{2}g[/tex]

on a chair [tex]m_{3}g[/tex]

on the floor

Is it the sum of these?

Also, would motion of the box along the inclined plane affect the result? It would seem to be "no".

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you tried drawing a FBD?

4. Oct 29, 2006 #3
    Yes, and it/they were getting complex, so I wanted to get some feedback. I came up with the force exerted down on the chair as having an x component and a y component (different from what I posted). From there I was thinking I could apply that vector to the FBD of the chair and come up with my answer. Is such a "cascading of forces" approach correct?

5. Oct 29, 2006 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, from what I understand you to have described that is correct. Perhaps if you posted you FBD's we could comment further.

6. Oct 29, 2006 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Huh? Are you describing one situation (a box on a chair which is on a slanted slope?) or multiple situations? What are those masses?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?