1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Normal force

1. Aug 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How to know when one is suppose to add or subtract to get the normal force of an object.

2. Relevant equations
    FN = Fg, FN = F sin(-)

3. The attempt at a solution

I believe to get the normal force of a 2 kg object when it is being pulled upwards by a force of 45 Newtons at an angle of 40 degrees is:
    FN = 45 N sin(40) - 19.6 N
    FN = 9.32 N

or is it:

FN = 45 N sin(40)
    FN = 28.9 N

Which one is correct? How do I know when to add or subject the normal force and gravitational force?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2010 #2
    I usually draw the FBD and look at my positive and negative values.

Fn is perpendicualr to the slope of the incline, therefore it's equal to the y component of mg.

4. Aug 20, 2010 #3
    How is it the normal force equal to the force of gravity? That is impossible with an incline. It is only possible if the mass is on a flat surface. However, I see your point of labeling the FBD. Therefore, my example that I used, the mass was being pulled upwards because the normal force was higher than the force of gravity?

5. Aug 20, 2010 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

If you push a cart with a force making an angle θ with the horizontal on the horizontal surface, then the normal force = mg + Fsinθ.
    If you pull the cart in the above case, the normal force = mg - Fsinθ.
    In your problem two forces are acting on the body.Net normal force is the sum of the components of two forces perpendicular to the surface of the inclined plane. 45 N is acting parallel to the inclined plane. So it has no vertical component with respect to the inclined plane. Hence the normal reaction is mg*cos(θ)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook