Calculating Normal Force on Block on Wedge

In summary, the normal force acting on the block during acceleration can be calculated using the formula mg/cos(theta) because it is equal to the horizontal component of the normal force, which is necessary for the block to stay in place on the wedge without friction. This is due to the fact that the net force acting on the block needs to have a horizontal component in order for the block to accelerate in the horizontal direction, and the vertical component of the normal force is used to cancel out the vertical component of gravity.
DDS
A block of mass m is placed on a wedge. The wedge is pushed along a horizontal surface with accelertation a, so that the block stays in place on the wedge, even though there is no friction between the block and the wedge. The normal force acting on the block during the acceleration is equal to:

mg/cos(theta)

i kind of guessed this answer but now when i go sti down and try to understand why is mg/cos(theta) not just simply mgcos(theta) i don't know why.

can anyone explain this to me

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider that for the block not to slide down the wedge it must be in vertical equilibrium.

can anyone give me adetailed explanation its just my exam is in 2 days so not to bash you DOC but I am looking for a detailed explanation

DDS said:
can anyone give me adetailed explanation its just my exam is in 2 days so not to bash you DOC but I am looking for a detailed explanation

Draw yourself a diagram of the block and the forces acting on it. There are only two. One is its weight and the other is the normal force acting perpendicular to the surface of the wedge. Without friction, the wedge cannot exert a force in any other direcion. The sum of those two forces is the net force acting on the block, causing it to accerlerate horizontally. What does that (and Doc's suggestion) tell you about the vertical component of the net force?

it has a component i both the x and y plane

DDS said:
it has a component i both the x and y plane
If the net force had a vertical component, the mass would accelerate in the vertical (y) direction. It is only accelerating in the horizontal (x) direction. That tells you the vertical component of the normal force cancels the vertical gravitiational force. The reusltant of the normal force and gravity must be the horizontal component of the normal force, and that force provides the acceleration of the block.

1. How do you calculate the normal force on a block on a wedge?

The normal force on a block on a wedge can be calculated using the formula: N = mgcosθ, where N is the normal force, m is the mass of the block, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the wedge.

2. What is the significance of calculating the normal force on a block on a wedge?

Calculating the normal force on a block on a wedge is important because it helps determine the force that the wedge exerts on the block. This can be useful in understanding the stability and equilibrium of the block and wedge system.

3. How does the angle of the wedge affect the normal force on the block?

The angle of the wedge directly affects the normal force on the block. As the angle increases, the normal force decreases, and as the angle decreases, the normal force increases. This is because the component of the force due to gravity acting perpendicular to the wedge decreases as the angle increases.

4. Can the normal force on a block on a wedge ever be zero?

Yes, the normal force on a block on a wedge can be zero if the wedge is placed horizontally, meaning that the angle of the wedge is 0 degrees. In this case, the block is not in contact with the wedge and there is no normal force acting on it.

5. How does the mass of the block affect the normal force on a block on a wedge?

The mass of the block does not directly affect the normal force on a block on a wedge. However, the normal force is proportional to the weight of the block, which is equal to its mass multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity. Therefore, a block with a greater mass will experience a greater normal force on a wedge compared to a block with a smaller mass.