Where Does the Normal Line Intersect the Parabola Again?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the point at which the normal line to the graph of y = -4 - 3x + 4x^2 at (1, -3) intersects the parabola a second time. The process involves finding the derivative of the parabola at the given point, finding the equation for the tangent line, and then finding the equation for the normal line by taking the negative reciprocal of the tangent line's slope. The final step is to use the quadratic formula to find the x-coordinates of the intersecting points, which are (1, -3) and (-3/10, -137/50). The conversation also mentions verifying the calculations and steps used.
volc
Here is what I found, look at the end to see what my question is:

At what point does the normal line to the graph of y= -4 - 3x + 4x^2 at (1, -3 ) intersect the parabola a second time?

So far I have tried to find the derivative of the parabola which is:

8x-3 (this corresponds to the slope of the tangent line). Therefore now I replaced x by 1 because of the point I am given. This gives:

8(1)-3 = 5

So that is the slope of the tangent line. Now to know the equation of this line I do:

y=5x+b , replace x and y by the point I am given and solve for b.

-3=5(1)+b
b=-8

Thus, the equation is: y=5x-8

The normal is perpendicular to the tangent at (1,-3) so I take the negative reciprocal of the slope to find the slope of the normal:

5 becomes -1/5 (reciprocal). And now I get y=-1/5+b for the normal. Replace x and y by the point (1,-3):

y=-1/5x+b
-3=-1/5x+b
-3=-1/5(1)+b
-14/5=b

The equation for the normal is: y=-1/5x-14/5

Now I want to find when this line and the parabola meet so:

-1/5x-14/5 = -4 - 3x + 4x^2
0 = -6/5 -14/5x + 4x^2
Using (-b+/-sqrt(b^2-4ac))/2a
x1 = 1
x2 = -3/10

x1 = 1 I already know because that is the point where the normal, the tangent, and the parabola intersect. And x2 = -3/10 is the other point where only the parabola and the normal intersect.

To find the y-coordinate of -3/10 I just insert it into the equation and get:

y=-1/5(-3/10)-14/5
y= -137/50

Thus the other point is: (-3/10,-137/50)

I would just like to know if the above calculations are correct and that I am doing the proper steps.

Thanks a lot,

Cedrick O'Shaughnessy

Physics news on Phys.org
That all looks good. I'm just not sure why you found the equation for the tangent line, since it doesn't seem like you needed it.

Your calculations and steps seem correct. You have correctly found the slope of the tangent line and used it to find the equation of the tangent line. You also found the slope of the normal line and used it to find the equation of the normal line. Finally, you solved for the points of intersection between the normal line and the parabola. Your answer of (-3/10, -137/50) as the second point of intersection is also correct.

One thing to note is that in your equation of the normal line, you have a negative sign in front of the slope (-1/5x - 14/5). This is because the slope of the normal line is perpendicular to the slope of the tangent line, so it should be the negative reciprocal. However, this does not affect your calculations or final answer.

Overall, your approach and calculations are correct. Keep up the good work!

What is a normal line?

A normal line is a line that intersects a curve or a function at a right angle, also known as a perpendicular line. It represents the slope at a specific point on the curve.

How do you find the normal line to a function?

To find the normal line to a function, you first need to find the derivative of the function. Then, you can use the derivative to find the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on the curve. The negative reciprocal of this slope will give you the slope of the normal line. Finally, you can use the point-slope formula to find the equation of the normal line.

Why is the normal line important?

The normal line is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a curve or a function at a specific point. It can also be used to find the maximum or minimum points on a curve, which can be useful in optimization problems.

Can the normal line and the tangent line be parallel?

No, the normal line and the tangent line cannot be parallel. Since the normal line is perpendicular to the tangent line, they will always intersect at a right angle. If they were parallel, they would not intersect at all.

Can a function have more than one normal line at a given point?

Yes, a function can have more than one normal line at a given point. This can happen when the function has a point of inflection or when the curve intersects itself at that point. In these cases, there will be multiple tangent lines with different slopes, resulting in multiple normal lines with different slopes as well.