Vertical Oscillation Frequencies of a Hanging Rod: Exploring Normal Modes

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of finding the frequencies of the normal modes of oscillation in the vertical plane for a uniform rod of length a hanging vertically on the end of an inelastic string of length a. The conversation also mentions setting up the problem with two angles and finding the velocity of the center of mass of the rod in order to calculate the total kinetic energy.
benij_chaos
I Have a question that is bugging me because I can't get the answer out here's the question:

A uniform rod of length a hangs vertically on the end of an inelastic string of length a, the string being attached to the upper end of the rod. What are the frequencies of the normal modes of oscillation in the vertical plane.

Any help would be appreciated thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
benij, it is required that you show your thoughts/efforts when asking for help with coursework/textbook problems.

I set the problem up with two angles, one that joins the string to the vertical and one that joins the string to the rod. My problem comes in not knowing how treat the mass in the question. I have tried dividing it up into two parts and that does not seem to work. I am effectively stuck before I am started.

Can you find the velocity of the center of mass of the rod, in terms of the lengths and angles (and their derivatives)? From v(COM) and the angular velocity about its top end, you can then write down the total kinetic energy term, T.

PS: I don't know what 2 masses you are talking about. The string is massless.

Last edited:

1. What are normal modes in physics?

Normal modes in physics refer to the characteristic vibrational patterns or modes of oscillation of a physical system under certain conditions. These modes are independent of each other and represent the natural frequencies at which the system can vibrate.

2. How are normal modes used in scientific research?

Normal modes are used in scientific research to study the behavior and properties of physical systems, such as molecules, atoms, or complex structures like buildings or bridges. By analyzing the normal modes, scientists can gain insights into the dynamics and stability of these systems.

3. What is the difference between normal modes and resonance?

Normal modes and resonance are closely related concepts. Normal modes refer to the natural frequencies at which a system can vibrate, while resonance occurs when a system is forced to vibrate at one of its natural frequencies. In other words, resonance is a specific case of normal modes.

4. Can normal modes be observed in everyday life?

Yes, normal modes can be observed in everyday life. For example, when you pluck a guitar string, it vibrates at its natural frequency, which is a normal mode. Other examples include a pendulum swinging, a tuning fork vibrating, or a wine glass producing a sound when rubbed with a wet finger.

5. How are normal modes calculated?

The calculation of normal modes involves solving the equations of motion for a given physical system. This can be done analytically for simple systems, but for more complex systems, numerical methods such as finite element analysis are used to determine the normal modes and their corresponding frequencies.