Exploring Normal Numbers & Transcendental Numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition and characterizations of normal numbers, particularly in base 2. The speaker has a suspicion that a number is normal in base 2 if and only if its base-2 expansion is a concatenation of every integer. However, there are doubts about the validity of this characterization and it is not proven. The conversation also touches on related topics such as transcendental numbers and the necessity of a number being both dense and in ascending order for it to be normal.
JohnDuck
I'm an undergrad math major who has recently taken an interest in normal numbers. I've just decided to begin to seriously read about them, and I was wondering if anyone here could point me in the right direction (in terms of which papers to read, for example). I'm wondering what other characterizations there are of normal numbers and normal numbers in base b. For example, Wolfram MathWorld says a normal number is:
...an irrational number for which any finite pattern of numbers occurs with the expected limiting frequency in the expansion in a given base...

Specifically, I suspect that a number is normal in base 2 if and only if its base-2 expansion is a concatenation of every integer. I have sketched a proof though I have not filled in the details, so there remains a significant possibility that my reasoning is wrong. Is anyone here knowledgeable on the subject? Is this blatantly false? Obvious? Simply not a useful characterization?

Additionally, since it seems that normal numbers are related somehow to transcendental numbers, could anyone recommend a good book on that subject?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
JohnDuck said:
Specifically, I suspect that a number is normal in base 2 if and only if its base-2 expansion is a concatenation of every integer.

I'm not sure how to interpret this, but it sounds like it follows readily enough from the definition of normal. Can you phrase this formally?

CRGreathouse said:
I'm not sure how to interpret this, but it sounds like it follows readily enough from the definition of normal. Can you phrase this formally?

I can try. First consider that the binary expansion of an integer is a string of finite length consisting of 1's and 0's. For brevity, when I mention strings I'll mean specifically strings of 1's and 0's. Let the set Sn = {strings of length <= n}, where n is an integer.

Then a concatenation of every string of length <= n is a string gotten by first picking an element a1 in Sn, then concatenating with an element a2 from Sn/{a1}, then concatenating with an element a3 from Sn/{a1, a2}, and so on until you have exhausted every element. Then let a concatenation of every string be the limit as n approaches infinity of a concatenation of every string of length <= n.

In order to prove a concatenation of every string is 2-normal, we need to show that any substring appears in the concatenation with the expected limiting frequency. I believe you can prove this by induction on n, by considering the relative frequency of strings of length m (for 1 <= m < n) in concatenations of strings of length <= n. I haven't worked out the details yet.

I also have a sketch for proving the opposite direction; if a number n is 2-normal, then it can be represented by a concatenation of every string. The gist of it is to systematically pick out every string, though I don't have the time to elaborate right now.

Um, if I understand your approach correctly - it doesn't work. Here is a way to concatenate every positive integer in a way that is obviously not normal.

0.0 1 2 11 3 111 4 1111 5 11111 6 111111 7 1111111 8 11111111 9 111111111 10 1111111111 12 11111111111 13 111111111111 14 1111111111111 15 ...

Although every positive integer is encountered at least once as a subsequence of digits (actually infinitely many times), the resulting number is obviously not normal in base 10 since it has way too many 1's.

Containing every positive integer as a subsequence is a necessary, but not sufficient, condition for a number to be normal.

Now, if the sequence of numbers is both dense, and in ascending order, then there is a proof that the resulting number is normal. I forget how "dense" is defined though.

These numbers are both proven normal in base 10:

0.1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25...

0.2 3 5 7 11 13 17 19 23 29 31 37 41 43 47 53 59 61 67 71 73 79 83...

1. What are normal numbers and how are they different from transcendental numbers?

Normal numbers are real numbers that have an infinite sequence of digits, with each digit appearing with equal frequency. This means that every digit, from 0-9, appears the same number of times in the decimal representation of the number. Transcendental numbers, on the other hand, are numbers that cannot be expressed as the solution to a polynomial equation with integer coefficients. In other words, they are numbers that are not algebraic and cannot be expressed as a finite or repeating decimal.

2. How are normal numbers and transcendental numbers used in mathematics and science?

Normal numbers are important in mathematics for their properties and connections to other number systems, such as the irrational numbers and the real numbers. They are also used in fields like probability and statistics, where the concept of equal frequency is applicable. Transcendental numbers, while not as widely used, have important applications in fields like physics and engineering, where they are used to model and approximate real-world phenomena.

3. Can normal numbers and transcendental numbers be computed or calculated?

No, both normal numbers and transcendental numbers cannot be computed or calculated exactly. This is because their decimal representations are infinite and non-repeating, making it impossible to write them down or represent them exactly. However, there are algorithms and methods for approximating these numbers to a certain degree of accuracy.

4. Are there any famous examples of normal numbers and transcendental numbers?

Yes, some well-known examples of normal numbers include Champernowne's constant, which is formed by concatenating the positive integers in order (0.123456789101112...), and the Copeland-Erdős constant, which is formed by concatenating prime numbers in increasing order (0.235711131719232931...). As for transcendental numbers, perhaps the most famous example is π (pi), which represents the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter and has an infinite, non-repeating decimal representation (3.141592653589793...).

5. What are the practical implications of the study of normal numbers and transcendental numbers?

The study of normal numbers and transcendental numbers has practical implications in various fields, such as cryptography, where their irrationality and non-repeating nature make them useful for creating secure codes and encryption methods. They also have applications in computer science, where they are used in algorithms for generating random numbers. Additionally, their study can lead to a deeper understanding of the nature of numbers and their relationships, which can have wide-ranging implications in mathematics and other scientific disciplines.