1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal of trigonometry points

1. Nov 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    x = (-4[tex]\pi[/tex]sin[tex]\pi[/tex]t, 4[tex]\pi[/tex]cos[tex]\pi[/tex]t, 1)
    what is the length of x?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, I do realize that length of something is calculated by sqrt(x^2 + y^2) etc.
    However, when I plug in the numbers above, I get sqrt(16[tex]\pi[/tex]^3 + 1), but the answer is sqrt[1 + (4[tex]\pi[/tex])^2)]. If anyone can show me step by step (trig is my weak point), I'd really appreciate it. I'm guessing (sin^2[tex]\pi[/tex]t + cos^2[tex]\pi[/tex]t) = 1, instead of [tex]\pi[/tex]? If so, why?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You should have learned long ago that [itex]sin^2(x)+ cos^2(x)= 1[/itex] for all x, even if [itex]x= \pi t[/itex]!

4. Nov 5, 2009 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes, sin2A + cos2A = 1 for any A. This is the only trig in this problem. The rest is algebra, which also seems to be a weak point.

How did you get sqrt(16[itex]\pi[/itex]3 + 1)? Show what you did to get this and we can set you straight.

5. Nov 5, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I do hope you are NOT arguing that you can take a "[itex]\pi[/itex] out of the function and saying that:

"[itex]sin^2(\pi t)+ cos^2(\pi t)= (\pi sin^2(t))^2+ (\pi cos^2(t))^2[/itex][itex]= \pi^2[/itex]".

sin(at) is NOT equal to a sin(t) and cos(at) is NOT equal to a cos(t)!

6. Nov 5, 2009 #5
    lol yeah, been away from math for a long time so did forget it. don't worry about 16pi^3, it was done quickly and obv wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook