1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal Plane to a Curve.

1. Oct 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

At what point on the curve ⃗r(t) = (t^3, 3t, t^4) is the normal plane parallel to the plane 3x + 3y − 4z = 9 (the normal plane is the plane through the point ⃗r(t) which is normal to ⃗r′(t))

2. Relevant equations

I'm not really sure.

3. The attempt at a solution
    (6t)(x-t^3) + (0)(y-3t) + (8t)(z-t^4) = 0

But that got me nowhere.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

i'm not sure what you attempted there...

first find vector normal to the plane given, then find the tangent vector of the curve.. and have a think about how they will be related

4. Oct 28, 2009 #3
    I read somewhere that that would be the equation of a normal plane to a curve. But it didn't work.

I did what you said, and they'll be related in that they'll be parallel vectors. I tried doing what you said and setting them equal to each other, but I just got equations for t that seem insolvable. ( for instance, 0= 8t^4 + 9 +16t^6)

5. Oct 28, 2009 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

that's not what i get, it works out ok... i'm not sure how you get the higher powers of t in your equation either

what do you get for the normal to the plane & for the tangent vector?

6. Oct 28, 2009 #5
    The normal is the gradient, so I got (3,3,-4). And I got (3t^2,3,4t^3)/sqrt(9t^4+9+16t^6) for the tangent vector.

7. Oct 28, 2009 #6

lanedance

Homework Helper

both look good, but I see you are normalising the tangent vector to length 1, that's not needed here, as you just need to know when its parallel

so if p is normal to the plane, t is the tangent, you just need to know when t = c.p for any constant c, which shows they are parallel. This should lead to a reasonably easy equation set if you don't normalise the vector

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  8. Oct 28, 2009 #7
    Well alright then, lol. Thanks guys, got it all figured out now. The answer is (-1,-3,1). Or rather, I'm assuming that that's the correct answer because it's what I got and it matches up with one of the multiple choice options :P

9. Oct 28, 2009 #8

lanedance

Homework Helper

yep thats what i get

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook