Normal Vector Equation for Plane with n=(2,-2,1) at Distance 5 from Origin

In summary, the equation of a plane can be found by solving for the normal vector equation of a plane which is normal on the vector n=(2,-2,1), at a distance of 5 from (0,0,0).
Hootenanny said:
Note that usually r is the position vector of a general point such that r = xi+yj+zk. Hence, if n = ai+bj+ck then,

[tex]\underline{r}\cdot\underline{n} - p = 0[/tex]

[tex]\left(x\underline{i} + y\underline{j} + z\underline{k}\right)\cdot\left(a\underline{i} + b\underline{j} + c\underline{k}\right)-p=0[/tex]

[tex]ax+by+cz - p =0[/tex]

Which is an equation of a plane in three space.

But again, something is wrong, since if p=|n|. In this case it isnt.

Physics news on Phys.org
HallsofIvy said:
I would do this in a somewhat more pedestrian way. Any plane perpendicular to vector (2, -2, 1) can be written in the form 2x- 2y+ z= A. We need to find A from the condition that "the distance from (0,0,0) is 5". The distance from a plane to a point is measured along the perpendicular to the plane and the line through (0, 0, 0) perpendicular to this plane is given by x= 2t, y= -2t, z= t. Putting that into the equation of the plane, 2(2t)- 2(-2t)+ (t)= A gives 4t+ 4t+ t= 9t= A. That is, t= A/9 and so the closest point on the plane to (0,0,0) is ((2/9)A, -(2/9)A, (1/9)A). The distance from that point to (0,0,0) is [itex]\sqrt{(4/81)A^2+ (4/81)A^2+ (1/81)A^2}= (1/3)A[/itex]. In order that that be "5" we must have A= 15. The equation of the plane is 2x- 2y+ z= 15.

In vector notation that is [itex](2, -2, 1)\cdot(x, y, z)- 15= 0[/itex]

H0w did u find x=2t, y=-2t, z=t?

Parametric equations of a line in the direction of vector (A, B, C) passing through point (x0, y0, z0) are x= At+ x0, y= Bt+ y0, and z= Ct+ a0. Didn't you learn that before the equation of a plane?

No I didn't learn it... And is n and [itex]n_o[/itex] are 2 different kind of vectors?

HallsofIvy?

I'm not sure what you mean by "n0" and "n". You are referring to the "normal" vector and "unit normal". No they are not different kinds is is just that n0 has length 1 while n can have any length.