1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal Projector

1. Apr 10, 2010 #1
    How do you prove that a projector is normal if and only if it is self adjoint?

I know a matrix P is a projector if [tex]P=P^{2}[/tex] and P is normal if PP* = P*P and P is self adjoint (or hermitian) if P= P*.

I think I know how to prove that if the projector P is self adjoint then P is normal.

But I am not sure how to proceed to prove that if the projector P is normal, then it is Self adjoint.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I'm bumping this to see if anyone has any ideas on this I've put in close to a couple of hours but haven't made much headway.

We have a matrix P that is a projector (so P2 = P), and normal (so PP* = P*P), and need to show that P is Hermitian (hence P = P*).

4. Apr 11, 2010 #3
    Perhaps we can try showing that under the hypothesis, it is an orthogonal projection and thus self adjoint. And also using the fact that if P is normal, then ker(P) = ker(P*). This will involve some messy orthogonal subspaces stuff, however.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  5. Apr 12, 2010 #4
    Thanks, I get the idea.

How do you prove that if if P is normal, then ker(P) = ker(P*) ? I know it involves the fact that Ker (P)= Ker (P*P), but how do we prove this?

6. Apr 12, 2010 #5
    I think to show this, try showing that |Px| = |P*x|, using the fact that P*P - PP* = 0 (I do not know the exact method, however, off the top of my head).

7. Apr 12, 2010 #6

lanedance

Homework Helper

as VeeEight suggest, how about if you have the complex inner product defined, then
    [tex] |Px|^2 = <Px,Px> = (Px)^*Px= x^*P^*Px =...[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook