1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal random variables

1. Mar 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [tex]\psi[/tex](x) = 2[tex]\phi[/tex](x) - 1. The function [tex]\psi[/tex] is called the positive normal distribution. Prove that if Z is standard normal, then |Z| is positive normal.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am not really sure where to begin with this. Can anyone provide me a jumping off point, please?

I do know that [tex]\phi[/tex](-x) = 1 - [tex]\phi[/tex](x)
    and so [tex]\phi[/tex](x) + [tex]\phi[/tex](-x) - 1 = 0.
    I am not sure how to utilize that or if it is even on the right track. Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2009 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

Start with the cumulative distribution function of [tex] |Z| [/tex]

[tex]
    P(|Z| \le x) = P(-x \le Z \le x) = \Phi(x) - \Phi(-x)
    [/tex]

where [tex] \Phi [/tex] is the cdf of the standard normal. How can you simplify [tex] \Phi(-x) [/tex]?

4. Mar 30, 2009 #3
    Ahhh, that makes perfect sense statdad. I kept trying to factor out 'x' when I looked at it the way you did it and got nowhere so discarded that method. I would substitute that with the equation I put in my first post to get the equation from the definition of positive normal. I just could not come up with that middle step to link the ideas until you put it so plainly. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook