1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal Strenght

1. Apr 20, 2005 #1

I'm doing my physic lab and I need to find the normal strenght applied on an object. Here's the info I have:

weight: 0,558 kg
    gravitational strenght: 0,558 * 9,8 = 5,47 N

Anybody can help me out? Thanks! :smile:
    - Alex
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2005 #2
    If its a flat surface that the object is sitting on and theres no other forces on it, then that should be good.
  4. Apr 20, 2005 #3
    the surface is not flat, sorry i forgot to mention that. It's on 5 degrees ~slope~, and it's "slipping" on it. The question says to ignore the friction, so no other forces beside the normal and gravitationnal one... ;)
  5. Apr 20, 2005 #4
    So the object is on a 5 degree incline, do you know which trig function will compensate for this? gravity is working in the vertical direction, and the object is sliding down the 'hypotenuse' of our imaginary triangle.
  6. Apr 20, 2005 #5
    Yes, I've join a picture of what it looks like (see attachments).

That's what I'm looking for :(

Attached Files:

7. Apr 20, 2005 #6
    Okay, image has been aproved now.. (sorry for the double post)..
    Anybody can help me out from here?

Thanks! :)
  8. Apr 20, 2005 #7
    What function relates the hypotenuse (path) with the opposite (force) ?
  9. Apr 20, 2005 #8
    Okay, let's see. The object only moves horizontally, so if I add all the forces on Y, it should be 0. So gravitationnal force + normal force (Y) should = 0.

Fg = 0,558 kg * 9,8
    = 5,47

N + 5,47Sin(85) = 0
    so, N = -5,47Sin(85)

That means the total forces on the object is equal to the force in X, wich brings me to find the acceleration with Ftotal = [weight] * [acce.] ;)

Let's hope I'm right. Thanks alot for the tips! :rofl:
  10. Apr 20, 2005 #9
    A few things

Weight means gravitational force.

The decline is at 5 degrees, not 85 degrees. What you'll want to do is stick with the angle of the decline.

Use the property cos(x) = sin(90-x). Basically,

N + 5.46cos(5) = 0
    N = 5.46cos(5)

Note cos(5) = Sin(85)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?