1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal stress problem

1. Nov 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An offset link supports a load of 30 kN as shown in figure 6. Determine its required width w if the total (combined) normal stress is not to exceed 73 MPa?

The cross section of the link is rectangular and has thickness of 40 mm

2. Relevant equations

stress= N/A

I have tried many different ways to solve this problem but end up hitting a wall! any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

hi ashley, welcome to pf

can't see the pic yet, they usually take a while to claar, what have you tried?

4. Nov 7, 2009 #3
    Hi lanedance,

I have tried using the shearforce formula: [tex]\tau=VQ/It[/tex] but am unable to get any where...

5. Nov 7, 2009 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

without being able to see the pic... why are you finding shear stress? when you want to find normal stress (Force/Area)

6. Nov 7, 2009 #5
    wow how dumb do i look :P i have tried solving the question in every way i could think of but i am doing something wrong. I have used the normal shear formula but again to no avail.
    Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook