1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal Subgroup of G

1. Jul 31, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    N is a normal subgroup of G if aNa^-1 is a subset of N for all elements a contained in G. Prove that in that case aNa^-1 = N.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Given: N is a normal subgroup of G if aNa^-1 is a subset of N for all elements a contained in G. Assume, aNa^-1 = {ana^-1|element n in N}.
    By definition of a normal subgroup, aN is a subgroup of Na for all elements a in G. Then aNa^-1 is a subgroup of Naa^-1 and is = N. And a^-1Na is a subgroup of aNa^-1 and is = N for all elements a in G, when Na= a(a^-1N)a is a subgroup of a(Na^-1)a = aN.

Is this approach correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2014 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, ##aN## and ##Na## are not groups at all unless ##a \in N##. If ##N \unlhd G## then it is true that ##aN = Na## (i.e. there is no distinction between left and right cosets). But this is not the usual definition of a normal subgroup.

Indeed, the definition given in your problem statement is that ##N \unlhd G## if and only if ##aNa^{-1} \subseteq N## for all ##a \in G##. The goal is to prove that this implies that ##aNa^{-1} = N## for all ##a \in G##. You can do this without mentioning cosets at all.

Hint: ##aNa^{-1} \subseteq N## if and only if ##N \subseteq a^{-1}Na##.

4. Jul 31, 2014 #3
    So if, aNa^-1 is a subset of N if and only if N is a subset of a^-1Na, then element a is contained in N. Then, aNa^-1= N for all elements a in G.

5. Jul 31, 2014 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, you cannot conclude that ##a \in N##. Indeed, ##a## is an arbitrary element of ##G##.

6. Jul 31, 2014 #5
    So if my conclusion is that elements a are present in G, and aNa^-1 = N for all elements a in G, this proves that N is a normal subgroup of G.

(I realize how I cannot say that element a is contained in N now).

7. Jul 31, 2014 #6

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The definition in your problem statement is that ##N \unlhd G## provided that ##aNa^{-1} \subseteq N## for all ##a\in G##.

The goal is to conclude the apparently stronger statement that if ##N \unlhd G##, then in fact we must have equality: ##aNa^{-1} = N## for all ##a \in G##. Since this is an equality of sets, the usual way to prove it is to prove containment in both directions, namely ##aNa^{-1} \subseteq N## and ##N \subseteq aNa^{-1}##. The first containment is given (definition of normality), so you just need to prove the second one.

Try thinking about my hint some more: ##aNa^{-1} \subseteq N## if and only if ##N \subseteq a^{-1}Na##

8. Jul 31, 2014 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

To give a further hint. If you want to prove an inclusion such as ##N\subseteq aNa^{-1}##, you should always do the following; pick an arbitrary element ##x\in N## (so the only thing you know about ##x## is that it is in ##N##). You must proe that ##x\in aNa^{-1}##. In other words, you must find some ##y\in N## such that ##x=aya^{-1}##.

(Yes, jbunniii, I know this is not the approach you had in mind, but I think this seems simpler)

9. Jul 31, 2014 #8

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No problem, any proof is fine as long as it correct and (most importantly) Justabeginner understands it. I don't care if it's my proof or not. :smile:

10. Jul 31, 2014 #9

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Your method is still important though, so be sure to give it after he finds the proof himself.

11. Jul 31, 2014 #10
    Thank you both for the techniques.

So suppose element x is in N, where x=aya^-1, then aya^-1 is contained in N. So, y is contained in a^-1Na and therefore if a^-1xa is contained in a^-1Na as well, x is contained in a^-1Na?

12. Jul 31, 2014 #11

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How do you know that you can write ##x## in the form ##aya^{-1}##? It is true, but you haven't shown why.

May I suggest instead starting as follows: ##x \in N##, and ##N## is a normal subgroup. Therefore, given any ##g \in G##, what can you say about ##gxg^{-1}##?

13. Jul 31, 2014 #12
    If element x is in N, and N is a normal subgroup of G, given any element g in G, gxg^-1 must also be in G.

Edit: gxg^-1 has to be in N too, because x is in N.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  14. Jul 31, 2014 #13

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Good. So what if we know define ##y## as ##axa^{-1}##?

15. Jul 31, 2014 #14

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Small correction: "must also be in N."

16. Jul 31, 2014 #15
    Now, if element y is contained in N, and y= axa^-1 then axa^-1 is also contained in N. If axa^-1 is in N and N is a subgroup of G, then axa^-1 is also in G, so a is in G.

17. Jul 31, 2014 #16

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

So we have the following:

1) We know that ##y = axa^{-1}## by definition.
    2) We know that ##aNa^{-1} \subseteq N## since ##N## is normal by hypothesis.
    3) We know that ##x\in N##

Can you use this to establish the following facts:

4) ##x = aya^{-1}##
    5) ##y\in N##

Finally, can you use those 5 facts to establish that ##x\in aNa^{-1}##?

18. Jul 31, 2014 #17
    By multiplication, x=a^-1ya. Since x is in N, and x=a^-1ya, y is also in N. If y is in N, then a^-1xa is in N, and x is in aNa^-1.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  19. Jul 31, 2014 #18

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Shouldn't that be ##x = a^{-1}ya##?

20. Jul 31, 2014 #19

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, sorry for the confusion.

21. Jul 31, 2014 #20
    I forgot to put them on the correct side when I multiplied.
    Is the flow of my statements right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted