1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal Subgroups proof.

1. Apr 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let G be and group and let N and H be normal subgroups of G with $N \subset H \subset G. Prove that H/N is a subgroup of G/N, and that it is a normal subgroup. Note that aKa^{-1} = {aKa^{-1} | k in K}.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand that since H is contained in G and N is contained in H that it would make sense that the factor group H/N is not only a subgroup, but a normal subgroup. However, I am struggling trying to figure out a way to transition from aKa^{-1} to either H or N. We've also learned the 2-step check of closure and inverses for proving subgroups, but i'm not quite sure how to apply that to factor groups. If I could get some suggestions where to start that would be great.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2012 #2
    Have you covered in your class that the elements of [itex]H / N[/itex] and [itex]G / N[/itex] are the cosets [itex]N[/itex] in [itex]H[/itex] and [itex]G[/itex]? I might try this problem by taking an arbitrary element [itex]h' \in H / N[/itex] and [itex]g' \in G / N[/itex] and showing that [itex]g' h' g'^{-1} \in H / N[/itex]. Since the elements chosen were arbitrary, [itex]H / N \triangleleft G / N[/itex].

4. Apr 19, 2012 #3
    let x,y be in aKa^-1.

thus x = aka^-1, for some k in K, and y = ak'a^-1 for some k' in K.

then xy^-1 = (aka^-1)(ak'a^-1)^-1 = (aka^-1)(ak'^-1a^-1) = a(kk'^-1)a^-1,

and since K is a subgroup kk'^-1 is in K whenever k,k' are, so xy^-1 is in aKa^-1.

thus aKa^-1 is certainly a subgroup of G.

what we need to do is show that aKa^-1 must be a subset of H.

note that K is a subgroup of H, hence aKa^-1 is a subset of aHa^-1. but H is normal in G, so aHa^-1 = H.

thus aKa^-1 is contained in H.

How does this look?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook