1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal Subgroups

1. Jun 9, 2006 #1
    I'm working on introductory group theory and am stuck on this proof. I don't even know where to start, so I'd appreciate any help at all!

"A subgroup H of a finite group G is said to be a normal subgroup if, for each element h ∈ H and each element g ∈ G, the element g^1hg ∈ H

Prove that if the order of G is twice the order of H, then H is a normal subgroup of G."
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2006 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Take the definition of normal, and play with it. What it says is that for all g in G, the set gHg^{-1}=H, or that gH=Hg, ie left and right cosets agree. Suppose H has index two (i.e. |G|=2|H|). How many left cosets are there? How many right cosets are there. What properties of cosets do you know? How about cosets are disjoint or equal? Can you see how this implies the result?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?