1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal subgroups?

1. Dec 5, 2006 #1
    Normal subgroups??

Normal subgroups?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2006 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

H is normal if gHg^(-1)=H for all g. If H is a subgroup of some order, then so is gHg^(-1). End of hint.

4. Dec 6, 2006 #3
    Ah so

If H is unique subgroup of order n (no others) it must be normal as all other xHx^(-1) must be of that same order n.

I was thrown by the 10 or 20 in the problem, but it could really be any order n.

Thank you very much for the hint. I saw the disclaimer after I posted about the homework, so I'm sorry if this question wasn't up to par.

5. Dec 6, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Also, a subgroup, H, of a group, G, is a normal subgroup if and only if the "left cosets" and "right cosets" are the same. A result of that is that we can define the group operation on the cosets (if p is in coset A and q is in coset B then AB is the coset that contains pq) in such away that the collection of cosets is a group in its own right: G/H.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?