1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal subgroups

1. Apr 26, 2008 #1
    Let G be a group and H a subgroup of G. We define the following:

[tex]N_{G}(H) = \{g \in G \,\,|\,\, g^{-1}hg \in H,\, for\, all\,\, h\in H\}[/tex]

Show that [tex]N_{G}(H)[/tex] is a subgroup of G.

I've shown that for all [itex]x,\, y[/itex] of [itex]N_{G}(H)[/itex], [itex]xy[/itex] is an element of [itex]N_{G}(H)[/itex], but how do I show that [itex]x^{-1}[/itex] is an element of [itex]N_{G}(H)[/itex] ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2008 #2
    H is a subgroup, hence H has inverses so for the element x in H, and the element g-1hg consider the element g-1x-1g which is in NG(H) since x-1 is in H.

4. Apr 27, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think d leet mean "and the element g-1xg".

What is the product (g-1xg)(g-1x-1g)?

5. Apr 27, 2008 #4
    It's the identity.

But, aren't we supposed to show that (g-1)-1x(g-1) = gxg-1 is in H?

6. Apr 27, 2008 #5
    yup that's right, think about what halls just said though and it answers your question, you know (g^-1xg)(g^-1x^-1g) = e. This tells you what?

7. Apr 27, 2008 #6
    It tells me the inverse of g-1xg is g-1x-1g (which must also be contained in H), but how does that show that g-1 is in NG(H)? (i.e. do all elements of NG(H) have inverses?).

8. Apr 27, 2008 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

?? Was that a typo. You are not trying to prove that g-1 is in NG(H), you are trying to prove x-1 is.

And the fact that g-1x-1g is in H shows that x-1 is in NG(H).

9. Apr 27, 2008 #8
    Now I'm getting confused lol. According to the definition of NG(H) from my original post, we want to show that for all g in NG(H), g-1 is also in NG(H). In other words we have to show that for any g in NG(H) and all x in H, (g-1)-1x(g-1) is H.

Am I correct in saying this?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook