1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal/t distributions

1. Jul 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let X1, X2,...,X16 be a random sample of size 16 from N(μ=50, σ2=100) distribution.

Find P(Xbar > 50 + .6505(s))

2. Relevant equations

Z= (xbar - μ)/(σ/√n)

3. The attempt at a solution

So I know the solution of this problem is given by P( T(15 d.f.) > 2.602 ) but I'm not sure why.

I notice that you get the value 2.602 by plugging (50 + .6505(s)) in for xbar in the Z equation.

I guess I'm not really sure why we use the T distribution here and how you're supposed to come up with the value 2.602. 15 degrees of freedom makes sense.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You have to use the Student's t distribution because your sample size is so small. As I recall the cutoff is about n = 28. For your problem, n = 16.

4. Jul 11, 2013 #3
    Ok. That makes sense.

I suppose I'm confused because in the previous problem we were asked to find P(xbar >52) and we used z scores/normal cdf

5. Jul 11, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What, exactly, do you mean by 's' in the expression Xbar > 50 + 0.6505 s ? If 's' is the sample standard deviation, you need to use the t-distribution because you are essentially asking for the distribution of T = (Xbar - μ)/s (or maybe (Xbar - μ)/(s/√n), depending on what s actually represents). You would use the normal distribution if you wanted Xbar > 50 + 0.6505 σ with known σ = 10. In other words, use N for (Xbar - μ)/σ and use T for (Xbar - μ)/s.

6. Jul 11, 2013 #5
    's' represents the sample standard deviation.

I'm still a bit unclear as to how we come up with the value 2.602

7. Jul 11, 2013 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] 2.602 = 4 \times 0.6505 = \sqrt{16} \times 0.6505 [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted