Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal/Tangent to space curve

1. Jun 18, 2010 #1
    Hello all,

Given a 3d vector function f(t) that traces out a path in space, how can I find the normal and tangent vectors at any location along the curve?

Cheers,
    Adrian

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2010 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Well, for us to have a tangent at [itex]P(x(t_1), y(t_1), z(t_1) )[/itex] , the direction the tangent should be pointing in the same direction as the point P is "going" right at that instant when t= t_1. We could break it into dimensions and think about how fast P is going in just the x-direction, how fast it's going in the y-direction and how fast in the z-direction. How could we figure that out?

4. Jun 18, 2010 #3
    Right, so it would be the first derivative, or f'(t). But the normal?

5. Jun 18, 2010 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Well theres no first derivative, you have a parametrically defined function of 3 variables. So in the x direction, its x'(t), then in y, y'(t) and in z axis, z'(t).

For the normal, I'm not sure. How would you define the normal vector in this case? Normally its the vector perpendicular to the Tangent, but we get a whole Plane that has that for this case.

6. Jun 18, 2010 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If [itex]\vec{f}(t)= u(t)\vec{i}+ v(t)\vec{j}+ w(t)\vec{k}[/itex], then a tangent vector is given by [itex]\vec{f}'(t)= u'(t)\vec{i}= v'(t)\vec{j}+ w'(t)\vec{k}[/itex]. The unit tangent vector is that vector divided by its length and the normal vector is the derivative of the unit tangent vector with respect to t.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook