Finding Normal Vectors to Surfaces of Revolution

In summary, the normal vector at each point on the surface of revolution is found by rotating y around the x-axis, and dividing by the length of the vector.
Kalidor
Suppose you have a single variable differentiable function r: R -> R restricted to an interval, like [0,1] for simplicity, if you want. Consider the surface of revolution obtained by rotating the graph of r around the x axis. How do I find the NORMAL VECTOR to the surface at each of its points (x,y,z)? I guess I could find the normal vector to the graph of r in the xy plane and then rotating it with the same rotation I use to generate the surface of revolution. Somehow though this process seems to become unfeasible at some point so I must be missing something or doing it the wrong way altogether.

Physics news on Phys.org
To be more specific, let's assume you have y= f(x) rotated around the x-axis. That is, of course, a two dimensional surface and can be written in terms of two parameters, x and the angle, [itex]\theta[/itex], of rotation. At each x, the point (x,y) rotates around a circle of radius y= f(x) and so we have x= x, [itex]y= f(x)cos(\theta)[/itex], and [itex]z= f(x)sin(\theta)[/itex].

We can write that as a vector function: [itex]\vec{r}(x,\theta)= x\vec{i}+ f(x)cos(\theta)\vec{j}+ f(x)sin(\theta)\vec{k}[/itex].

The derivatives of that vector function, with respect to the two variables:
[tex]\vec{r}_x= \vec{i}+ f'(x)cos(\theta)\vec{j}+ f'(x)sin(\theta)\vec{k}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{r}_\theta= -f(x)sin(\theta)\vec{j}+ f(x)cos(\theta)\vec{k}[/tex]
are in the tangent plane.

Their cross product
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}\vec{i} & \vec{j} & \vec{k}\\ 0 & -f sin(\theta) & f cos(\theta) \\ 1 & f' cos(\theta) & f' sin(\theta) \end{bmatrix}= -ff'\vec{i}+ f cos(\theta)\vec{j}+ f sin(\theta)\vec{k}[/tex]
is the outward normal at each point.

Hi HallsofIvy, this vector is something similar to what I got (with inverted signs though, I probably did the cross product wrong). I don't see why it should have norm 1 in general, though and i need it to have norm 1 (Sorry, I just found out I should have written UNIT normal vector in the original post). But then again I guess I could just divide by sqrt[(rr')^2 + r^2] and I'd get a vector with norm 1. So it's fine I hope.

Last edited:
There are, of course, an infinite number of vectors perpendicular to a surface at a point, of differing lengths and directions. I chose the order of cross product to get the "outward pointing" normal (away from the x-axis which lies in the interior of the surface). You didn't say anything about a "unit vector" in your original post. If you want a unit vector, divide by the length of this vector.

What does "normal to graph of a function" mean?

The term "normal to graph of a function" refers to a line or vector that is perpendicular to the tangent line at a specific point on the graph of a function. The normal line can be used to find the slope of the tangent line, which is a key concept in calculus.

How do you find the normal to graph of a function?

The normal to graph of a function can be found by taking the negative reciprocal of the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on the graph. This means that if the tangent line has a slope of m, the normal line will have a slope of -1/m. The normal line can then be drawn through the point of tangency.

What is the significance of the normal to graph of a function?

The normal to graph of a function is important because it allows us to find the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on the graph. This is useful in many applications of calculus, such as finding maximum and minimum values, determining rates of change, and solving optimization problems.

Can the normal to graph of a function ever be horizontal or vertical?

No, the normal to graph of a function cannot be horizontal or vertical. This is because the tangent line at a point where the graph is horizontal or vertical is undefined, and therefore the slope of the tangent line cannot be used to find the slope of the normal line.

How is the normal to graph of a function related to the derivative?

The normal to graph of a function is closely related to the derivative of the function. The derivative represents the slope of the tangent line at any given point, and the normal line can be found by taking the negative reciprocal of the derivative. In other words, the derivative of a function and the normal to graph of a function are essentially inverse concepts.