1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal Unit Vector to Curve

1. Nov 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am supposed to find the tangent and normal unit vector to r(t)=<2sint,5t,cost>.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    r1(t)=<2cost,5,-sint> which is a tangent vector to the curve, and then to make it a unit vector I would multiply by 1/(sqrt(4cos^2t+25+sin^2t).

Finding the normal unit vector is a little bit more confusing for me. I understand that it is supposed to be the derivative of the tangent vector divided by the magnitude (to make it length 1) but I am surprised because taking the derivatives of <2cost/sqrt(4cos^2t+25+sin^2t), 5/sqrt(4cos^2t+25+sin^2t),-sint/sqrt(4cos^2t+25+sin^2t)> and then turning that into a unit vector is extremely messy. Would it be possible to instead simply take the derivative of the tangent vector (not the unit tangent vector) r1(t)=<2cost,5,-sint> and get r2(t)=<-2sint,0,-cost> and then make that into a unit vector by dividing by sqrt(4sin^2t+cos^2t) or would this be incorrect.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, the unit normal vector is defined as the derivative of the unit tangent vector, which derivative is then divided again by its magnitude:

http://mathwiki.ucdavis.edu/Calculu.../The_Unit_Tangent_and_the_Unit_Normal_Vectors

You are correct in the fact that taking the derivative of the unit tangent vector can get pretty messy, as the link above acknowledges.

4. Nov 16, 2015 #3
    Thank you very much, I have an additional question as well. I am supposed to find the curvature of these curves as well and there are 2 formulas I know of:
    k=lTprimel/lvl and k=lvxal/lvl^3 for messy examples such as this one am I correct in assuming that using the second formula would make finding the curvature much easier?

5. Nov 16, 2015 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It helps a little bit to observe that [itex]4 cos^2(t)+ 25+ sin^2(t)= 3cos^2(t)+ 25+ cos^2(t)+ sin^2(t)= 3 cos^2(t)+ 26[/itex]

6. Nov 16, 2015 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This article gives several different formulas for the curvature:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Curvature.html

There are formulas derived especially for curves which are defined using parametric equations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted