Normal Vector for a cylinder

In summary, the coordinates of the point on the surface of the cylinder which the observer is looking at are (3, 1, 4).
luislam

Homework Statement

An infinite cylinder with radius 1 is aligned with axis Y, A point light source with intensity 1 is located at (2,2,10) An observer is located at (3,1,4). He is looking in the direction of the origin of the coordinate system. What are the coordinates of the point on the surface of the cylinder which the observer is looking at? Calculate the illumination at this point if the ambient are 0.1 0.65 0.3 and the specular exponent is 2 We also assume the ambient light intensity is 0.5

Homework Equations

First We find the intersection point. The line cast from the observer to the origin can be written parametrically as [x y z] = [3 1 4] + t( [0 0 0] - [3 1 4] ) = [3 1 4]( 1-t )

The cylinder can be defined implicity x^2 + z^2 -1 =0
Substituting the line equation into cylinder equation gives 25(1-t)^2-1=0 which has two root 4/5, 6/5. We choose the smaller root t = 4/5, which corresponds to the intersection point we want (x y z) = (3,1,4)*(1-t) =(3,1,4)*(1-4/5)actually this is copy out from my lecture note, I don't quite understand how to get this equition to find normal vector.

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically this is not a homework, is just an sample question from my lecture notes, preparing for exam and I don't quite understand certain part so could anyone please help me clear the doubts thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You say a light source is at (3, 1, 4) and immediately say "Heis looking in the direction of the origin". Where is the obvserver? Are we to assume that the observer is at the light source?

Thanks for pointed out the mistake, I had corrected the mistake already. Thanks again.

Assuming that, by "axis Y", you mean that the y-axis is the axis of the cylinder, then any point on the cylinder can be written as [itex](x, y, z)= (cos(\theta), y, sin(\theta))[/itex] where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle a line from the point perpendicular to the y-axis make with the x-axis. We can write that as the vector equation [itex]\vec{r}(y, \theta)= cos(\theta)\vec{i}+ y\vec{j}+ sin(\theta)\vec{k}[/itex].

The unit normal vector, at any point, will be the unit vector, parallel to the xz-plane, [itex]cos(\theta)\vec{i}+ sin(\theta)\vec{k}[/itex].

1. What is a normal vector for a cylinder?

A normal vector for a cylinder is a vector that is perpendicular to the surface of the cylinder at a given point. It represents the direction in which the surface is pointing outward.

2. How is the normal vector calculated for a cylinder?

The normal vector for a cylinder can be calculated by finding the gradient of the cylinder's equation, which is a function of both x and y. This gradient will give the direction and magnitude of the normal vector at any point on the cylinder's surface.

3. What is the purpose of a normal vector for a cylinder?

The normal vector for a cylinder is used in many applications, such as computer graphics and physics simulations, to determine the orientation and behavior of the cylinder. It is also useful in calculating lighting and shading effects on the cylinder's surface.

4. Can the normal vector for a cylinder change?

Yes, the normal vector for a cylinder can change depending on the point on the surface being considered. Since the cylinder's surface is curved, the normal vector will vary in direction and magnitude at different points on the surface.

5. How is the normal vector related to the tangent vector for a cylinder?

The normal vector and the tangent vector for a cylinder are always perpendicular to each other. The tangent vector represents the direction in which the cylinder's surface is changing, while the normal vector represents the direction perpendicular to that change. Together, they define the orientation of the cylinder's surface at a given point.