1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal vector of a plane

1. Feb 12, 2008 #1

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From the book's example, the normal vectors of the planes x+y+z=1 and x-2y+3z=1 are <1,1,1> and <1, -2, 3>.

Although the book doesn't mention how it got those normal vectors from the equations, it's rather obvious. But the first homework problem has the plane equation = 0 instead of equal 1. Can I still just pull the coefficients of x, y, z and form a normal vector? i.e. If the equation of the plane is x+z=0, then is the normal vector <1,0,1>?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2008 #2
    Yup, you can always pull the coefficients off for the normal because that term after the = sign doesn't change the slopes of the plane -- it will just determine intercepts and points through which the plane passes

4. Feb 12, 2008 #3

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

thanks! The book failed to explain that.

5. Feb 12, 2008 #4

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I better post the full problem because I'm stuck again.

Find the parametric and symmetric equations of the line of intersection of the planes x+y+z=1 and x+z=0.

I got the normal vectors, <1,1,1> and <1,0,1> and their cross product <1,0,-1> or i-k.

I set z to 0 and got x=0, y=1, z=0.

How do I form parametric equation out of this?? I know it's x=t, y=1, z=-t because this problem is nearly identical to one from lecture. But how did he do that step?

This would make the symmetric equations x/1=y-1/0=z/-1. But I can't divide by 0, can I?

6. Feb 13, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm not sure why you are worrying about vectors. I would just solve the two equations for two of the variables in terms of the third. Subtracting the third equation from the first, we get y= 1 From the third equation, z= -x. Taking x itself as parameter, we have x= t, y= 0, z= -t.

As for the "symmetric" equations, yes, the fact that y is constant causes a problem! The only "symmetric" are z= -x, y= 1.

7. Feb 18, 2008 #6

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A belated thank you, Halls. I didn't notice your response until now. I guess I stopped monitoring this thread after I turned in the homework. I also got z=-x, y=1. Thanks for confirming that for me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?