1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal vector to a curve

1. Feb 12, 2006 #1
    Hi I'm having trouble finishing this problem and I'd appreciate it if someone could help me out.

I need to find the unit vector normal to x=y^2=z^3 at the point (1,1,1) and it can't have components along the line x=y=z

Heres what I did so far:
    1. dx=2ydy=3z^2dz
    2. At (1,1,1) dx=2dy=3dz
    3. differential length vector dl=dxax+(1/2)dxay+(1/3)dxaz
    (ax is the unit vector in the x-direction etc)
    4. Rewrote dl as dl=[ax+(1/2)ay+(1/3)az)]dx

If I use the dot product and I let an=normal vector then the dot product of dl and an should equal 0. OK that's as far as I can get :(

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2006 #2
    Let's see. If you if parametrize given curve you would get [tex]\gamma(t)=(t, t^\frac{1}{2}, t^\frac{1}{3})[/tex]. Tangent vector to a curve is given by [tex]\vec{\tau}=\frac{d\gamma(t)}{dt}=[1, \frac{1}{2}t^\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{3}t^{-\frac{2}{3}}][/tex]. At point M=(1,1,1) it becomes [tex]\vec{\tau_M}=[1,\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{3}][/tex]. Vector that is along x=y=z direction is given by [tex]\vec{a}=[1,1,1][/tex]. So, your vector should be normal to the curve at point M (which means it should be normal to [tex]\vec{\tau_M}[/tex] and should not be in direction of [tex]\vec{a}[/tex]. To be sure it is so, set your vector to be [tex]\vec{b}=\vec{\tau_m}\times \vec{a}[/tex]. Then just divide resulting vector by its magnitude and this is it.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2006
  4. Feb 12, 2006 #3
    Oh yes, excuse me. My fingers were faster then brain. Ill fix it immidiatelly

Last edited: Feb 12, 2006
  5. Feb 12, 2006 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

To remain annoying, please add a minus sign to the differentiated y-component's exponent..:smile:

6. Feb 13, 2006 #5
    Hmm, I don't see edit button under my post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?