1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normalisation constant~ help

1. Oct 15, 2008 #1
    Normalisation constant~ help~~

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An electron is in the spin state |> = A (3i, 4), so determine the normalisation constant A.

2. Relevant equations

:uhh: :frown:

3. The attempt at a solution

:cry: Well, I get confused about this questions, can anybody tell me what the normalisation constant is in this case? And does "in the spin state" mean something for given condition? Thanks a lot.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Normalisation constant~ help~~

Spin is simply a property that particles posses and this "spin state" describes, well the state of the spin of a particle or system of particles.

As for the question, what does one normally mean when one says a "normalisation constant". What does it mean in the context of a wave function for example?
  4. Oct 15, 2008 #3

Well, thanks a lot, but i dont think this problem is discussing about wave function, I cannot find any concept about wave function in my lecture notes. Thus, I consider that this question is only about math and calculation. Or maybe you can teach me some about the wave function or any other ideas? Thanks any way~
  5. Oct 15, 2008 #4

Do you know about complex vectors? And how to normalize those to unit length?
  6. Oct 15, 2008 #5

yes, o! you mean I can just do it like A = 1/|(3i, 4)|?? Thanks!
  7. Oct 15, 2008 #6

Yep, that's all there is to it. But don't forget to simplify that expression for A you got now.
  8. Oct 16, 2008 #7

Thanks, so it's A = 1/5
  9. Oct 16, 2008 #8

So in Physics we can write the spin state as a function of the particle:

[tex]|\psi \rangle = A \left ( \begin{array}{cc} 3i \\ 4 \end{array} \right)[/tex]

But wave function must integrate to unity over all space, so:

[tex]\langle \psi | \psi \rangle = 1 = A^2\left ( \begin{array}{cc} -3i & 4 \end{array} \right) \left ( \begin{array}{cc} 3i \\ 4 \end{array} \right) = 25A^2[/tex]

So I agree with your answer
  10. Nov 1, 2009 #9

I friggin get it now!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?