Normalised 2D coordinates on a surface

In summary, normalised 2D coordinates on a surface refer to the location of a point on a two-dimensional surface expressed as a ratio of its distance from the origin to the total size of the surface. They are important in scientific research as they provide a consistent and objective way of representing points on a surface. They are calculated by dividing the point's distance from the origin by the total size of the surface. Normalised 2D coordinates can also be used in three-dimensional space by adding an additional dimension. The advantages of using normalised 2D coordinates include eliminating the dependence on absolute units of measurement, simplifying calculations and comparisons, and providing a standardized representation of points on a surface.
mat_davies

Homework Statement

I'm trying to find normalised 2D coordinates for a point (Px,Py,Pz) that lies on a planar surface, which is defined by straight lines between 4 points c1-c4 (numbered anticlockwise).

Homework Equations

General vector equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose the point c1 is in the bottom left corner. The horizontal lines bounding the top and bottom of the surface are i) from c1 to c2 and ii) from c4 to c3. A normalised x-coordinate creates a pair of points (M,N) that are an equal proportion along both lines. M and N are chosen such that a a line from M to N passes through P. A similar y-coordinate is used to locate the point vertically.

The diagram below shows an example, with (normally unknown) normalised coordinates (0.8,0.5)

to find the normalised coordinates:

Suppose A is the normalised x-coordinate

Mx=A(c2x-c1x)
My=A(c2y-c1y)
Mz=A(c2z-c1z)
Nx=A(c3x-c4x)
Ny=A(c3y-c4y)
Nz=A(c3z-c4z)

A line from M to N must have the same unit vector as a line from M to P

(Nx-Mx)/((Nx-Mx)^2+(Ny-My)^2+(Nz-Mz)^2)^.5)=(Px-Mx)/((Px-Mx)^2+(Py-My)^2+(Pz-Mz)^2)^.5)

and similar for (Ny-My) and (Nz-Mz)

I now have the following problem

i) The equation above does not seem to be able to generate a closed form expression for A
ii) A appears to cancel in the LHS of the equation above (given that 0<A<1, so it can be taken out of the square root). This suggests that the unit vector is independent of the normalised x-coordinate, which doesn't seem to be correct.

Can anybody help with this? or think of a better method?

Cheers

Mat

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 361
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Mat,

Thank you for your question. It seems that you have a good understanding of the problem and have made a good attempt at finding a solution. However, I believe there may be a simpler approach to finding the normalised coordinates for a point on a planar surface defined by four points.

First, let's define the four points as c1, c2, c3, and c4, with c1 being the bottom left corner and the points numbered counterclockwise.

To find the normalised x-coordinate, we can first find the distance between c1 and c2, and then the distance between c1 and the point P. This will give us the proportion of the distance along the line from c1 to c2 that P is located. We can then use this proportion to find the x-coordinate of P along the line from c1 to c2.

Using the Pythagorean theorem, we can find the distance between c1 and c2 as:

d1 = √[(c2x - c1x)^2 + (c2y - c1y)^2 + (c2z - c1z)^2]

Similarly, the distance between c1 and P can be found as:

d2 = √[(Px - c1x)^2 + (Py - c1y)^2 + (Pz - c1z)^2]

Now, we can find the normalised x-coordinate, A, as:

A = d2/d1

Similarly, we can find the normalised y-coordinate, B, by finding the distance between c1 and c4, and then the distance between c1 and P, and using the same formula as above:

d3 = √[(c4x - c1x)^2 + (c4y - c1y)^2 + (c4z - c1z)^2]

d4 = √[(Px - c1x)^2 + (Py - c1y)^2 + (Pz - c1z)^2]

B = d4/d3

Therefore, the normalised coordinates for point P would be (A, B).

I hope this helps and provides a simpler solution to your problem. Let me know if you have any further questions or if you need clarification on anything.

1. What are normalised 2D coordinates on a surface?

Normalised 2D coordinates on a surface refer to the location of a point on a two-dimensional surface, expressed as a ratio of that point's distance from the origin to the total size of the surface. This allows for a standardized way of representing points on a surface, regardless of its size or shape.

2. Why are normalised 2D coordinates important in scientific research?

Normalised 2D coordinates are important in scientific research because they allow for a consistent and objective way of representing points on a surface. This is particularly useful in fields such as computer vision, where precise and standardized measurements are necessary.

3. How are normalised 2D coordinates calculated?

Normalised 2D coordinates are calculated by dividing the distance of a point from the origin by the total size of the surface in each respective direction. This results in a value between 0 and 1, representing the relative position of the point on the surface.

4. Can normalised 2D coordinates be used in three-dimensional space?

Yes, normalised 2D coordinates can be extended to three-dimensional space by adding an additional dimension. This allows for the representation of points on a three-dimensional surface using the same principles as normalised 2D coordinates.

5. What are the advantages of using normalised 2D coordinates?

The use of normalised 2D coordinates eliminates the dependence on absolute units of measurement and allows for a consistent representation of points on a surface. It also simplifies calculations and comparisons between different surfaces, making it a useful tool in scientific research and analysis.