Normalizing Graph in Excel: Step by Step Guide

• Thread starter aidin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of normalizing a graph in Excel with respect to a background. The speaker is seeking a step-by-step process and mentions the use of a best fit line or crossed lines method. They also mention finding the parameters of an incomplete Beta function from the data and setting a truncation value. The final step is to subtract the mean and divide by the standard deviation.
aidin
Dear all ,

Thank you for any help in advance.

I have a graph in Excel which represents counts (photons) vs pixel i.e distance. This is from a cross sectional profile of an X-ray image.

I would like to normalise my graph with respect to my background. I have attached the graph. I know I have to draw a best fit line on my background and find the equation but a step by step process would be relly helpful.

Thank you

Attachments

• graph.xls
    21.5 KB · Views: 190
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
It is tricky to figure what you want because you say "normalize" at first, then you want "best fit line" later... which is it?
It would have help if you showed us what you have tried or how you are thinking about what is needed.
Anyway - off your post, I can suggest the following howto's. You can tell us which was right for you, and, if you get stuck, where.

Single-line 'best fit" method.
http://serc.carleton.edu/mathyouneed/graphing/bestfit.html

Crossed lines method - good if you need uncertainties.
http://www.schoolphysics.co.uk/age16-19/General/text/Uncertainties_in_graphs/index.html

Normalizing curves in excel;
http://www.ehow.com/how_12167214_normalize-curves-excel.html

Last edited by a moderator:
This appears to be an incomplete Beta function. You have to find its parameters from data, setting the truncation value ahead from experience. Normalization means subtraction of mean from the values and then division by sd.

1. What is normalizing a graph in Excel?

Normalizing a graph in Excel refers to the process of rescaling data on a graph to make it easier to compare different data sets. This involves dividing each data point by a common factor, such as the maximum value in the data set, to create a standardized scale.

2. Why is it important to normalize a graph?

Normalizing a graph is important because it allows for easier comparison of data sets with different scales. Without normalization, the data with larger values will dominate the graph and make it difficult to see any patterns or trends in the data.

3. How do I normalize a graph in Excel?

To normalize a graph in Excel, follow these steps:

1. Select the data points you want to normalize.
  2. Divide each data point by the maximum value in the data set.
  3. Plot the normalized data on a graph.
  4. Format the graph as desired.

4. Can I undo normalization in Excel?

Yes, you can undo normalization in Excel by multiplying the normalized data by the original maximum value. This will revert the data back to its original scale.

5. Are there any limitations to normalizing a graph in Excel?

While normalizing a graph can be useful for comparing data sets, it does have some limitations. For example, it may not be suitable for data sets with extreme outliers or for data that has a specific range of values that needs to be preserved.