1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normalising schrodinger pdf

1. Nov 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Normalise
    [tex]\Psi(x,t) = Ae^{-\lambda |x|}e^{-i \omega t}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

(i.e. it must satisfy [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} |\Psi (x,t)|^2 dx=1[/tex])

3. The attempt at a solution

This is my first attempt at normalisation and I don't know how valid my reasoning is, can someone please check to see if I'm doing it right:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}|\Psi (x,t)|^2 dx = \frac{A^2}{\lambda} e^{-2 i \omega t}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \frac{\lambda}{A^2}e^{2i \omega t} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}|\Psi (x,t)|^2 dx =1[/tex]

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty \left(\frac{\sqrt{\lambda}}{A}e^{i\omega t} |\Psi|\right)^2dx =1[/tex]

[tex]\therefore \Psi (x,t)_{normalised} = \frac{\sqrt{\lambda}}{A}e^{i\omega t} \times \left(Ae^{-\lambda |x|}e^{-i \omega t}\right) = \sqrt{\lambda}e^{-\lambda |x|}[/tex]

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2009 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

First, recall that [itex]|\Psi (x,t)|^2[/itex] means [itex]\Psi^*(x,t) \Psi(x,t)[/itex]. That is, you multiply [itex]\Psi(x,t)[/itex] by its complex conjugate [itex]\Psi^*(x,t)[/itex].

What is the complex conjugate of the [itex]\Psi(x,t)[/itex] that you were given?

4. Nov 22, 2009 #3
    Oh, right! So I can't just square it?

The conjugate would be [tex]Ae^{-\lambda |x|}e^{i \omega t}[/tex]

So I just times those together to find [tex]|\Psi|^2[/tex]?

Are my other steps sound though (assuming that I fix the start up)?

Thanks again

5. Nov 22, 2009 #4

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Your other steps will be completely different. For one thing, the e^ part becomes 1 and you won't have to worry about it. You should get a value for A, which makes sense because normalization means finding the amplitude A that goes in front of the wavefunction.

6. Nov 23, 2009 #5
    Thanks for your help! Is this correct now?

[tex]\begin{array}{cclc}\int_{-\infty}^\infty |\Psi|^2dx &=& 2\int_{0}^\infty (Ae^{-\lambda x}e^{-i \omega t} Ae^{-\lambda x}e^{i \omega t})dx & \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \int_{-\infty}^\infty f(|x|)dx = 2\int_0^\infty f(x)dx \\\\ &=& 2\int_0^\infty A^2e^{-2\lambda x}dx & \\\\ &=& \dfrac{A^2}{\lambda}& \end{array}[/tex]

so the answer is [tex]A = \sqrt{\lambda}[/tex]?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  7. Nov 23, 2009 #6

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Almost, but e^-λx * e^-λx = e^-2λx.

8. Nov 23, 2009 #7
    thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook