1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normalising wave functions.

1. Dec 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle of unit mass moving in an infinite square well, V=0 for |x|<= a , V=∞ for |x|>a , is described by a wave function u(x) = Asin(3πx/a).

(i) If I normalise the wave function, what is A?

(ii) And what is the energy of state described by this wave function?

3. The attempt at a solution

(i) Normalised the wave function by saying it is only valid from 0<x<=a and every where else is 0.

So I square the wave function, integrate it and I get:

A²a = 1 --> 1/√a

(ii) And the energy of state decribed by this wave function would be 9h²/8ma² , since we know its on n=3.

What Im puzzled about is if the width of the well is 2a or a? I know it is 'a' because the denominator of the wave function tells me it is. But when I use the general formula of:

A= √(2/L) I know L = a so I instead get:

A= √(2/a) which isn't true?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2009 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

Why only [itex]0 < x \le a[/itex]? Take another close look at that question to figure out the range over which the potential is non-infinite.

The form of the wave function tells you nothing, in general, about the width of the well. You have to get that from other information in the problem - the width of the region in which the potential is zero.

4. Dec 20, 2009 #3
    Your result is close but awkward on the first part. Go back and redo the integral. You should get the square root of 2 divided by a, not 1 divided by a. The bounds of integration are 0 to a. Given what you've presented here, the width of the well is a.

You have the right idea for the second part, but it should be:

[tex]E = 9\pi^2h^2/(2ma^2)[/tex]

5. Dec 20, 2009 #4
    It's actually from -a< x <a which will give a well of width 2a.

If I integrate now this will become 2a(A²) = 1 --> 1/√2a

But If I use A= √(2/L) I know L = 2a so I instead get:

A = √(1/a)

Im clearly going wrong somewhere

6. Dec 21, 2009 #5
    Probably posting your integration helps others to spot your mistakes.

if you really do not see it on your own.

Well you probably remember cos^2 + sin^2 = 1, so integrating over full peroids of a sine squared (or cosine squared) gives you half of the peroid length.

7. Dec 22, 2009 #6
    For the first part the answer is A=1/√a

8. Dec 24, 2009 #7
    Yea it was a mistake I made with the integration, I finally got the correct answer. Is the energy state for this wave function simply:

9h²/8ma²

since we know n=3 from the wave function given?

9. Dec 24, 2009 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook