Normalization conditions in quantum mechanics

This means that the probability of finding the system in any of its possible states is 1, as it should be.
tiger_striped_cat
I am familiar with the normalization

[tex]\int\left|\Psi\right|^{2}dx=1[/tex]

Because we want to normalize the probability to 1. However if a state vector isn't in the x basis and is just a general vector in Hilbert space, we can take the normalization condition to be:

[tex]<\Psi|\Psi>=1[/tex]

Correct? I guess this is making more and more sense to me. I guess I just never thought about it before. But since we can put a completeness relation in the middle of the latter equation then these two are basically equivalent. I guess I'm just having difficultly seeing how probability over all states is 1 in the second case.

Please tell me if this is incorrect.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
tiger_striped_cat said:
I am familiar with the normalization

[tex]\int\left|\Psi\right|^{2}dx=1[/tex]

Because we want to normalize the probability to 1. However if a state vector isn't in the x basis and is just a general vector in Hilbert space, we can take the normalization condition to be:

[tex]<\Psi|\Psi>=1[/tex]

Correct? I guess this is making more and more sense to me. I guess I just never thought about it before. But since we can put a completeness relation in the middle of the latter equation then these two are basically equivalent. I guess I'm just having difficultly seeing how probability over all states is 1 in the second case.

Thanks!

It is perfectly correct.Though the logic should contain the same ideas,but in a different order.From the general condition of normalization of vectors in a separable Hilbert space u have to make several assumptions (that is sentences which gradually make u lose generality) in order to obtain the integral over [tex] R^{3n} [/tex] in case of an "n" point-like particles quantum system.
Hopefully u're reading a "decent" ook which respects the logic mentioned above.

Both Schroedinger's wave mechanics and Heisenberg-Born-Jordan's matrix mechanics can be marvelously derived from the abstract theory by Dirac.A common example of showing that is the QM linear harmonic oscillator.

tiger_striped_cat said:
[tex]<\Psi|\Psi>=1[/tex]

Thanks!
That's correct. Since every observable [itex]Q[/itex] has a complete set of orthonormal eigenvectors [itex]|q_n\rangle[/itex] we have:
[tex]\sum_n |q_n\rangle \langle q_n|= 1[/tex]
and [itex]|\Psi \rangle = \sum_n c_n|q_n \rangle[/itex] with [itex]c_n=\langle q_n|\Psi\rangle[/itex].
so:
[tex]<\Psi|\Psi>=<\Psi|1|\Psi>=\sum_n \langle\Psi|q_n\rangle \langle q_n|\Psi \rangle=\sum_n |c_n|^2=1[/tex].

Last edited:

1. What is the normalization condition in quantum mechanics?

The normalization condition in quantum mechanics is a mathematical expression that states that the integral of the square of the wavefunction over all possible values of the independent variable must equal one. In other words, the probability of finding the particle in any region of space must be equal to one.

2. Why is normalization important in quantum mechanics?

Normalization is important in quantum mechanics because it ensures that the wavefunction is a valid probability distribution. This means that the total probability of finding the particle in any region of space is equal to one, which is necessary for the predictions of quantum mechanics to be accurate.

3. How is the normalization condition satisfied in quantum mechanics?

The normalization condition is satisfied by taking the square root of the wavefunction and dividing it by the integral of the square of the wavefunction over all possible values of the independent variable. This process is known as normalization and results in a properly normalized wavefunction.

4. Are there any exceptions to the normalization condition in quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are exceptions to the normalization condition in quantum mechanics. For example, in certain cases where the potential energy is infinite, such as an infinite potential well, the wavefunction may not be normalizable. However, these cases are not physically realistic and do not affect the validity of the normalization condition in general.

5. How does the normalization condition relate to the superposition principle in quantum mechanics?

The normalization condition is closely related to the superposition principle in quantum mechanics. The superposition principle states that a particle can exist in multiple states at the same time, each with a certain probability. The normalization condition ensures that these probabilities add up to one, allowing for the particle to exist in a definite state when observed.