1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normalization conditions in quantum mechanics

1. Dec 3, 2004 #1
    I am familiar with the normalization

Because we want to normalize the probability to 1. However if a state vector isn't in the x basis and is just a general vector in Hilbert space, we can take the normalization condition to be:

Correct? I guess this is making more and more sense to me. I guess I just never thought about it before. But since we can put a completeness relation in the middle of the latter equation then these two are basically equivalent. I guess I'm just having difficultly seeing how probability over all states is 1 in the second case.

Please tell me if this is incorrect.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is perfectly correct.Though the logic should contain the same ideas,but in a different order.From the general condition of normalization of vectors in a separable Hilbert space u have to make several assumptions (that is sentences which gradually make u lose generality) in order to obtain the integral over [tex] R^{3n} [/tex] in case of an "n" point-like particles quantum system.
    Hopefully u're reading a "decent" ook which respects the logic mentioned above.

Both Schroedinger's wave mechanics and Heisenberg-Born-Jordan's matrix mechanics can be marvelously derived from the abstract theory by Dirac.A common example of showing that is the QM linear harmonic oscillator.
  4. Dec 3, 2004 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's correct. Since every observable [itex]Q[/itex] has a complete set of orthonormal eigenvectors [itex]|q_n\rangle[/itex] we have:
    [tex]\sum_n |q_n\rangle \langle q_n|= 1[/tex]
    and [itex]|\Psi \rangle = \sum_n c_n|q_n \rangle[/itex] with [itex]c_n=\langle q_n|\Psi\rangle[/itex].
    [tex]<\Psi|\Psi>=<\Psi|1|\Psi>=\sum_n \langle\Psi|q_n\rangle \langle q_n|\Psi \rangle=\sum_n |c_n|^2=1[/tex].
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?