Normalization factor (1 Viewer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Hi all! I hope somebody is able to help me on my way with this question.

I have been asked to show that the Normalization factor for the 1s atomic orbital of H is [tex]1/(\Pi a_o^3)^\frac{1}{2}[/tex]. The wavefunction is [tex]\psi(r) = N exp(-r / a_o)[/tex]

I'm given [tex]dt = r^2 sin \Theta[/tex] and [tex]dr d\Theta d\Phi[/tex] and [tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}x^n e^a^x dx=n!/a^n+1[/tex]

I must admit I'm clueless which direction to go. It was mentioned to me, that squaring the wavefunction is the first step, but I cannot arrive at the given constant. Am I starting off on the wrong foot?

Thanks for any input, in advance.

geronimo

Last edited:

nrqed

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
geronimo123 said:
Hi all! I hope somebody is able to help me on my way with this question.

I have been asked to show that the Normalization factor for the 1s atomic orbital of H is [tex]1/(\Pi a_o^3)^\frac{1}{2}[/tex]. The wavefunction is [tex]\psi(r) = N exp(-r / a_o)[/tex]

I'm given [tex]dt = r^2 sin \Theta[/tex] and [tex]dr d\Theta d\Phi[/tex] and [tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}x^n e^ax dx=n!/a^n+1[/tex]

I must admit I'm clueless which direction to go. It was mentioned to me, that squaring the wavefunction is the first step, but I cannot arrive at the given constant. Am I starting off on the wrong foot?

Thanks for any input, in advance.

geronimo
If you make mistakes in a post, you can go back and make changes by clicking on the EDIT button (instead of QUOTE).

Sorry about this - I don't know how it managed to post twice. It's my first time working with tex and I was having evident difficulties :) Thanks for the pointer!

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving