1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normalization factor

1. Apr 23, 2006 #1
    Hi all! I hope somebody is able to help me on my way with this question.

I have been asked to show that the Normalization factor for the 1s atomic orbital of H is [tex]1/(\Pi a_o^3)^\frac{1}{2}[/tex]. The wavefunction is [tex]\psi(r) = N exp(-r / a_o)[/tex]

I'm given [tex]dt = r^2 sin \Theta[/tex] and [tex]dr d\Theta d\Phi[/tex] and [tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}x^n e^a^x dx=n!/a^n+1[/tex]

I must admit I'm clueless which direction to go. It was mentioned to me, that squaring the wavefunction is the first step, but I cannot arrive at the given constant. Am I starting off on the wrong foot?

Thanks for any input, in advance.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you make mistakes in a post, you can go back and make changes by clicking on the EDIT button (instead of QUOTE).
  4. Apr 23, 2006 #3
    Sorry about this - I don't know how it managed to post twice. It's my first time working with tex and I was having evident difficulties :) Thanks for the pointer!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?