1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normalization Factor

1. Aug 8, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A quantum system has a measurable property represented by the observable S with possible eigenvalues nh, where n = -2, -1, 0, 1, 2. The corresponding eigenstates have normalized wavefunctions [tex]\psi_{n}[/tex]. The system is prepared in the normalized superposition state given by

[tex]\psi = \frac{1}{N}(\psi_{-2}+2\psi_{-1}+4\psi_{1}-6\psi_{2}[/tex]

Where N is a normalization factor

(i) Calculate N

(ii) Write down the probability for each of the following measurements os S: -h, 0, 2h

3. The attempt at a solution

Given that the wavefunction is normalised, the sum of the squared moduli of the coefficients equals 1, so

[tex]\left(\frac{1}{N}\right)^2 = \left(\frac{1}{N}\right)^2\left(+\frac{2}{N}\right)^2+\left(\frac{4}{N}\right)^2+\left(\frac{-6}{N}\right)^2[/tex]

Which equals

[tex]\frac{1}{N}^2=\frac{1}{N}+\frac{4}{N}+\frac{16}{N}+\frac{36}{N}[/tex]

I'm getting a bit lost from here though

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2007 #2
    The condition you are looking for is [tex] \left< \psi | \psi \right> = 1 [/tex] (or any other value you'd normalize to), I don't understand what you're saying about the "squared moduli of the coefficients" (possible due to my lack in english), but your equations defenitely does not reflect the condition I stated (an addend independent of N is missing).

4. Aug 8, 2007 #3

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The modulus of a complex number is its "length". What Ben is saying is that if a wavefunction iis written as a linear combination of orthonormal wavefunctions, then the squared "length" of the wavefunction is the sum of the squares of the "lengths" of the coefficients for the linear combination.

Ben:

1) you should understand why this is true;

2) from where did the left side of your second-last equation come;

3) are you sure about the denominators on the right side of your last equation?

5. Aug 8, 2007 #4
    Hmm... I'm probably missing some vital piece of knowledge here.... My books aren't very explicit in describing this situation... In fact Im finding the whole quantum physics stuff a bit hard to follow... But anyhow

For the points you raise...

(i) I understand your point about the squared length of the wavefunction being equal to the sum of the squares

(ii) I see what you mean about the left hand side of the 2nd equation... I should have it down as

[tex]\frac{1}{N}\left(\frac{1}{N}+\frac{4}{N}+\frac{16}{N}+\frac{36}{N}\right) = 1[/tex]

(ii) I'm not sure I understand about the denominators on the right hand side. If we have

[tex]\frac{1}{N}\left(1+4+16+36) = 1[/tex]

Isn't this the same as saying

[tex]\frac{1+4+16+36}{N} = 1[/tex]?

If I solve for N here I get 57

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  6. Aug 8, 2007 #5

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In your last post, how did you go from the first equation to the second equation?

7. Aug 8, 2007 #6
    I just multiplied out the brackets as you would normally... Something tells me I'm wrong here....

8. Aug 8, 2007 #7

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What does

[tex]\frac{2}{3} \times \frac{5}{7}[/tex]

equal?

9. Aug 8, 2007 #8
    [tex]\frac{2 \times 5}{3 \times 7}=\frac{10}{21}[/tex]

Am I right in saying that

[tex]\frac{1}{N}\left(\frac{1}{N}+\frac{4}{N}+\frac{16} {N}+\frac{36}{N}\right) = 1[/tex]

but wrong in how I've multiplied it out?

10. Aug 8, 2007 #9

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What does

[tex]\frac{1}{N} \times \frac{36}{N}[/tex]

equal?

11. Aug 9, 2007 #10
    Ah.. I see what you mean..

[tex]\frac{1}{N} \times \frac{36}{N} = \frac{1}{N^2}[/tex]

Therefore I should have

[tex]\frac{1}{N^2}+\frac{4}{N^2}+\frac{16}{N^2}+\frac{36}{N^2} = 1[/tex]

12. Aug 9, 2007 #11

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No

Yes.
    So
    [tex]\frac{57}{N^2} = 1[/tex].
    What is [itex]N[/itex] then?

13. Aug 9, 2007 #12
    Sorry... Of course

[tex]\frac{1}{N} \times \frac{36}{N} = \frac{36}{N^2}[/tex]

So [tex]\frac{57}{N^2}[/tex]

has N = 7.5498

14. Aug 9, 2007 #13

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You mean [itex]N \approx 7.5498[/itex], or [itex]N = \sqrt{57}[/itex].
    Well done.

15. Aug 9, 2007 #14
    So the probability for each of the measurements S: -h, 0, 2h
    will be simply

P(-h) = -1/(sqrt(57))
    P(0) = 0
    P(2h) = 4/(sqrt(57))

Is this right?

16. Aug 9, 2007 #15

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ouch. Those are amplitudes, not probabilities. Probability can't be negative. What's the relation between amplitude and probability? Wait a minute, they aren't even that. P(-h) should be associated with psi(-1) which has a coefficient of 2, not -1. Similarly for P(2h).

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  17. Aug 9, 2007 #16
    Oh dear... Back to the books again I think.... My paper asks for probabilities for each of the measurements and gives an example similar to the answers I just gave.... I can honestly say that quantum stuff really isn't my forte!!

What should I be looking out for when calculating probabilities?

18. Aug 9, 2007 #17

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

P(-h) corresponds to psi(-1), which has a coefficient of 2/sqrt(57), right? As it says in the problem statement, probability is the squared modulus of the coefficient. I.e. 4/57. Check that the sum of ALL the probabilities adds to one. It will help you understand why you normalized the function.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  19. Aug 9, 2007 #18
    Ah... So for P(2h) this corresponds to psi(+2) which has coefficient of -6/sqrt(57) yes? which gives us by modulus square of coefficients 36/57?

20. Aug 9, 2007 #19

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Now you're cooking. What's the sum of probabilities of all four possible states?

21. Aug 9, 2007 #20
    Ok, that would be

[tex]\frac{1}{57}+\frac{4}{57}+\frac{16}{57}+\frac{36}{57}[/tex]

which = 1

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?