1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normalization of a spin function

1. Jul 25, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given that the antisymmetric spin function for a 2 electron system is N[a1b2-a2b1], find the normalization constant N. (and by a and b I mean the alpha and beta spin states and by 1 and 2, I mean the labels on the two electrons...

2. Relevant equations
    Normalization: 1=integral over all relevant space of (wavefunction*wavefunction)

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I tried to square the spin function given, set it equal to 1, and solve for N. However, as the squared value of [a1b2-a2b1]... or what I THINK is the squared value of that, I kept on getting zero... what am I doing wrong in doing:

square of spin function=(N[a1b2-a2b1])^2
    =(N^2)<a1b2-a2b1|a1b2-a2b1>
    =(N^2)[<a1|a1><b2|b2>-<a1|a2><b2|b1>-<a2|a1><b1|b2>+<a2|a2><b1|b1>]

and because any sort of <a|a> is 1 and so is <b|b>, all those braket stuff are equal to 1, which overall makes the equation 0... I'm confused :(

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2007 #2

mjsd

Homework Helper

no, while <a1 b2|a1 b2> = 1, <a1 b2|a2 b1>=0
    therefore you get
    1= N^2 (1+0+0+1)
    1= 2N^2
    N = 1/sqrt(2) which is what one would expect naively.

note: the 2e- system has 4 states:
    |a1 a2>,|a1 b2>,|a2 b1>,|a2 b2>
    these are tensor products. eg. |a1 a2> = |a1>|a2>

4. Jul 26, 2007 #3
    how did you get (1+0+0+1)? I kept on getitng something like 1-1+1-1 or something that kept on cancelling all out to 0 :(

5. Jul 26, 2007 #4
    Your state

[tex]
    |\psi\rangle = N|\alpha_1\beta_2-\alpha_2\beta_1\rangle
    [/tex]

looks bad. Use this kind of notation instead:

[tex]
    |\psi\rangle = N\big(|\alpha_1\beta_2\rangle-|\alpha_2\beta_1\rangle\big)
    [/tex]

When you compute

[tex]
    \langle\psi|\psi\rangle
    [/tex]

don't start splitting states [itex]|\alpha_i\beta_j\rangle[/itex] into sums of states [itex]|\alpha_i\rangle[/itex] and [itex]|\beta_j\rangle[/itex], because that is wrong.

6. Jul 26, 2007 #5
    Ok, I got it now : ) but now my question is, I got to the point where N=sqrt(1/2). So can N be both positive AND negative of sqrt(1/2)?

7. Jul 26, 2007 #6
    In fact

[tex]
    N=e^{i\theta}\sqrt{1/2}
    [/tex]

are all valid normalization constants, where theta is some arbitrary constant, but the simplest [itex]\sqrt{1/2}[/itex] is usually preferred.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?