1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normalization of spherical harmonics

1. Jan 28, 2005 #1
    There is this excersise in Griffith's QM text that I can't seem to solve. It's about the calculation of the normalization factor of the spherical harmonic functions using the angular momentum step up operator.

These definitions/results are given:

[tex]Y_l^m = B_l^m e^{im\phi} P_l^m (\cos\theta )[/tex]
    [tex]L_{+} = \hbar e^{i\phi}\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial\theta} +i\cot\theta\frac{\partial}{\partial \phi}\right)[/tex]
    [tex]L_+ Y_l^m = A_l^m Y_l^{m+1}[/tex]
    [tex]A_l^m = \hbar \sqrt{l(l+1) - m(m+1)}[/tex]

The problem is to calculate [tex]B_l^m[/tex]. The approach suggested by Griffiths is to calculate [tex]L_+ Y_l^m[/tex] to get a recurrence relation for [tex]B_l^m[/tex]. This is the point where I get stuck. I guess it has something to do with the deravitive of [tex]P_l^m[/tex]. Anyhow, I'll give you my calculation until the point I got stuck and hope for the best that someone sees a mistake :)

[tex]
    L_+ Y_l^m = \hbar e^{i\phi}\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial\theta} +i\cot\theta\frac{\partial}{\partial \phi}\right) B_l^m e^{im\phi} P_l^m (\cos\theta )
    [/tex]

[tex] = \hbar e^{i\phi} B_l^m \left [ e^{im\phi}\frac{\partial}{\partial\theta}\left(P_l^m (\cos\theta )\right) + i\cot\theta P_l^m (\cos\theta ) \frac{\partial}{\partial\phi} e^{im\phi} \right]
    [/tex]

Now I calculated the derivative of [tex]P_l^m[/tex] using the following formula:

[tex](1-x^2)\frac{dP_l^m}{dx} = \sqrt{1-x^2}P_l^{m+1} - mxP_l^m[/tex]

So using the chain rule [tex]\frac{d P_l^m(\cos\theta)}{d\theta} = \frac{d P_l^m}{dx}\frac{dx}{d\theta}[/tex] with [tex]x=\cos\theta[/tex] I got:

[tex] \frac{d}{d\theta} P_l^m = - \left[\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\cos^2\theta}}P_l^{m+1} - \frac{m\cos\theta}{\sin^2\theta}P_l^m\right]\sin\theta
    = m\frac{\cos\theta}{\sin\theta}P_l^m - P_l^{m+1} [/tex]

Plugging all this in I got the following result:

[tex]\hbar B_l^m \left[ (m-1)P_l^m\cot\theta - P_l^{m+1}\right] = A_l^m B_l^{m+1}P_l^{m+1}[/tex]

but when I try to solve this for [tex]B_l^m[/tex] I get an exploding expression :(

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do you mean??It should look pretty bad indeed...Do you have the expression in Griffiths to compare your result to...??

Daniel.

4. Jan 28, 2005 #3
    I' m sorry my english isn't that good!
    From the last equation I am trying to iterate [tex]B_l^m[/tex] so I will get [tex]B_l^m = A B_l^0[/tex]

Griffiths says it should be [tex]B_l^m = (-1)^m\sqrt{\frac{(2l+1)}{4\pi}\frac{(l-|m|)!}{(l+|m|)!}[/tex]

5. Jan 28, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Check pages 678 pp 690 from Cohen-Tannoudji.

If u don't have the book,i'll help you a bit later...

Daniel.

6. Jan 28, 2005 #5
    I don't have that book. The only QM text I have is the one from Griffiths.

7. Jan 28, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well,i'm not gonna type 100 formulas for you,i'll give you some hints:
    [tex] \hat{L}_{-} Y_{l,-l}(\vartheta,\varphi) =0 [/tex]

Okay??

Solve this equation and find
    [tex] Y_{l,-l} (\vartheta,\varphi) [/tex]

and tell me what u get.Normelize the solution and give the constant of integration as well.

Then i'll guide through step #2.

Daniel.

8. Jan 28, 2005 #7
    These are a few results I'm getting but again it seems I'm stuck on the same sort of problem again :(

[tex]L_{-} Y_l^{-l} = -\hbar e^{-i\phi}\left(\frac{\partial Y_l^{-l}}{\partial\theta} - \cot\theta \frac{\partial Y_l^{-l}}{\partial \phi}\right)=0[/tex]

So [tex]\frac{\partial Y_l^{-l}}{\partial\theta} = \cot\theta \frac{\partial Y_l^{-l}}{\partial \phi}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial Y_l^{-l}}{\partial \phi} = -il B_l^{-l} e^{-il\phi} P_l^{-l}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial Y_l^{-l}}{\partial \theta} = B_l^{-l} e^{-il\phi}\left(P_l^{-l+1} + l\frac{\cos\theta}{\sin^2\theta}P_l^{-l}\right) [/tex]

so from this I get

[tex]P_l^{-l+1} + l\frac{\cos\theta}{\sin^2\theta}P_l^{-l} = -il\cot\theta P_l^{-l}[/tex]

But I can't see how I should continue....
    Forgive me for my seemingly stupidity

9. Jan 28, 2005 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So
    [tex] \hat{L}_{-} =\hbar e^{-i\varphi}(-\frac{\partial}{\partial \vartheta}+i\cot\vartheta \frac{\partial}{\partial \varphi}) [/tex] (1)

Okay??
    [tex] Y_{l,-l}(\vartheta,\varphi)=P_{l,-l}(\vartheta)e^{-il\varphi} [/tex](2)

Apply the operator (1) on the function (2) and give me the differential equation for
    [tex] P_{l,-l}(\vartheta) [/tex]

Daniel.

10. Jan 28, 2005 #9
    [tex]L_{-} Y_l^{-l} = \hbar e^{-i(l+1)\phi}\left(\cot\theta P_l^{-l} - \frac{\partial P_l^{-l} } {\partial \theta} \right) = 0 [/tex]

so [tex]\frac{\partial P_l^{-l} } {\partial \theta} = \cot\theta P_l^{-l}[/tex]

11. Jan 28, 2005 #10

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Almost,u missed the "l" when differentiating wrt [itex] \varphi [/itex].It's not PD anymore (one variable only,[itex] \vartheta [/itex]):

[tex] \frac{dP_{l,-l}(\vartheta)}{d\vartheta}=l\cot\vartheta P_{l,-l}(\vartheta) [/tex]

Solve this ODE.Then write the spherical harmonic...

Daniel.

12. Jan 28, 2005 #11
    Integrating factor is [tex]\frac{1}{\sin^l\theta}[/tex], so
    [tex]P_l^{-l} = C \sin^l\theta[/tex]

So [tex]Y_l^{-l} = C \sin^l\theta e^{-il\phi}[/tex]

#edit# I have to go now. Much thanks for your help! :)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2005
  13. Jan 28, 2005 #12

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perfect.Now normalize it and tell me what is the normalization constant...Chose the phase equal to 1.

Daniel.

14. Jan 28, 2005 #13
    [tex]\int d\theta d\phi C^2 \sin^{2l}\theta = 2\pi C^2 \int_0^\pi d\theta sin^{2l}\theta[/tex]

since [tex]\int_0^\pi d\theta sin^n \theta = \frac{n-1}{n}\int_0^\pi d\theta sin^{n-2} \theta [/tex]

the integral is equal to

[tex]\frac{2l-1}{2l}\frac{2l-3}{2l-2}\cdots \frac{1}{2} \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]
    if n>=2 and n is even and this is equal to

[tex]\frac{2l-1}{2l}\frac{2l-3}{2l-2}\cdots \frac{2}{3}[/tex]

if n>=3 and n is odd.
    But because 2l is always even and >= 2 we only need the first one,
    so

[tex] C = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \sqrt{\frac{2l-1}{2l}\frac{2l-3}{2l-2}\cdots \frac{1}{2} \frac{\pi}{2}}[/tex]

15. Jan 28, 2005 #14

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How did you get that result??Mine is totally different.

BTW,the site which had Abramowitz & Stegun is not working... :cry:

Daniel.

16. Jan 29, 2005 #15
    The formula [tex]\int_0^\pi d\theta sin^n \theta = \frac{n-1}{n}\int_0^\pi d\theta sin^{n-2} \theta [/tex] was on the backcover of my calculus book and the result I got in my previous post was just a sort of copy from an example in the chapter on partial integration.

17. Jan 29, 2005 #16

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then why do i get the feeling that my result is correct
    [tex] C_{l}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi}}\frac{\sqrt{(2l+1)!}}{2^{l} \ l!} [/tex]

and yours,which i cannot see how it can be put in a form similar to mine,is wrong...

Daniel.

P.S.BTW,mine coincides with the one given by Cohen-Tannoudji,page 682,#29.

18. Jan 29, 2005 #17
    I think you are absolutely correct, which makes me feel even more stupid because I can't seem to evaluate integrals properly anymore :confused:

I'm going to type it out step by step now, and hopefully you can discover (or myself) where I'm going the wrong way.

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^\pi |Y_l^m|^2 \sin\theta d\theta d\phi = 1[/tex]

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^\pi |Y_l^m|^2 \sin\theta d\theta d\phi =
    \int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^\pi C^2 \sin^{2l+1}\theta d\theta d\phi =
    2\pi C^2 \int_0^\pi \sin^{2l+1} d\theta = 1
    [/tex]

Using the iteration formula [tex]\int_0^\pi d\theta sin^n \theta = \frac{n-1}{n}\int_0^\pi d\theta sin^{n-2} \theta [/tex] I get:

[tex]
    \int_0^\pi \sin^{2l+1} d\theta = \frac{2l}{2l+1} \frac{2l-2}{2l-1} \cdots \frac{2}{3} \int_0^\pi \sin\theta d\theta = \frac{2l}{2l+1} \frac{2l-2}{2l-1} \cdots \frac{2}{3} 2
    [/tex]

So

[tex]
    C^2 = \frac{1}{4\pi} \frac{2l+1}{2l} \frac{2l-1}{2l-2}\cdots \frac{3}{2}
    [/tex]

But I can't seem to rewrite this in your form :confused:

19. Jan 29, 2005 #18

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maybe i can

[tex] |C_{l}|^{2}=\frac{1}{4\pi} \frac{(2l+1)!!}{(2l)!!}=\frac{1}{4\pi}\frac{(2l+1)!}{[(2l)!!]^{2}} [/tex]

Then
    [tex] |C_{l}|=\frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi}}\frac{\sqrt{(2l+1)!}}{(2l)!!} [/tex]

Writing
    [tex] (2l)!!=2^{l} \ l! [/tex]
    and chosing the phase
    [tex] \phi=(-1)^{l} [/tex]

,we get
    [tex] C_{l}=(-1)^{l}\frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi}}\frac{\sqrt{(2l+1)!}}{2^{l} \ l!} [/tex]

which coincides with the formula #14,page 679,Cohen-Tannoudji.

Daniel.

20. Jan 29, 2005 #19
    ah ok :)
    I never heard of this double factorial, so I was wondering how to write (2l+1)(2l-1)..... as a factorial :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?