Normalization of Slit #2 Wave Amplitude

In summary, the conversation discusses the normalization of two amplitudes in a double-slit experiment. The amplitude of the wave that gets through when only slit #1 is open is given by \psi(y,t) = A \exp^{-y^2} \exp^{-i((ky-\omega t)}, while the amplitude for slit #2 is \psi(y,t) = A \exp^{-y^2} \exp^{-i(k+\pi)y-\omega t)}. The normalization condition is given as \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\psi*\psi dy = 1, and the solution for both amplitudes is 1/A = \sqrt{\pi/2} from integral tables.
Tyst

Homework Statement

In a double-slit experiment, the slits are on the y-axis and the electrons are detected
on a vertical screen. When only slit #1 is open, the amplitude of the wave which
gets through is
[tex] \psi(y,t) = A \exp^{-y^2} \exp^{-i((ky-\omega t)} [/tex]

when only slit #2 is open, the amplitude of the wave which gets through is
[tex] \psi(y,t) = A \exp^{-y^2} \exp^{-i(k+\pi)y-\omega t)} [/tex]

(a) Normalize 1 and 2.

Homework Equations

Normalization Condition
[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\psi*\psi dy = 1 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] 1=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} A (\exp^{-y^2} \exp^{-i((ky-\omega t)}) (\exp^{-y^2} \exp^{i((ky-\omega t)}) dy
[/tex]
[tex]1=A \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \exp^{-2y^2} dy
[/tex]
[tex]
1/A= \sqrt{\pi/2}
[/tex] From integral tables

That's the solution i came up with for the first normalisation
Is the second the same?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tyst said:

Homework Statement

In a double-slit experiment, the slits are on the y-axis and the electrons are detected
on a vertical screen. When only slit #1 is open, the amplitude of the wave which
gets through is
[tex] \psi(y,t) = A \exp^{-y^2} \exp^{-i((ky-\omega t)} [/tex]

when only slit #2 is open, the amplitude of the wave which gets through is
[tex] \psi(y,t) = A \exp^{-y^2} \exp^{-i(k+\pi)y-\omega t)} [/tex]

(a) Normalize 1 and 2.

Homework Equations

Normalization Condition
[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\psi*\psi dy = 1 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] 1=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} A (\exp^{-y^2} \exp^{-i((ky-\omega t)}) (\exp^{-y^2} \exp^{i((ky-\omega t)}) dy
[/tex]
[tex]1=A \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \exp^{-2y^2} dy
[/tex]
[tex]
1/A= \sqrt{\pi/2}
[/tex] From integral tables

That's the solution i came up with for the first normalisation
Is the second the same?

i think u forgot to put the square over the A

cioa

Ha! So i did, thanks.

What is normalization of Slit #2 Wave Amplitude?

Normalization of Slit #2 Wave Amplitude is a process used to adjust the amplitude of a wave signal in order to make it comparable to other signals. This is important in scientific research as it allows for accurate comparisons and analysis of data.

Why is normalization of Slit #2 Wave Amplitude necessary?

Normalization of Slit #2 Wave Amplitude is necessary because different signals may have varying amplitudes due to factors such as equipment sensitivity or distance from the source. Normalization allows for the removal of these variations and ensures that data can be compared accurately.

How is normalization of Slit #2 Wave Amplitude performed?

Normalization of Slit #2 Wave Amplitude can be performed using a variety of mathematical techniques, such as dividing the amplitude by a reference value or multiplying it by a correction factor. The specific method used will depend on the type of signal and the desired results.

What are the benefits of normalizing Slit #2 Wave Amplitude?

The main benefit of normalizing Slit #2 Wave Amplitude is that it allows for accurate comparisons and analysis of data. It also helps to eliminate any biases or errors that may be present in the original signal due to factors such as equipment limitations or environmental conditions.

Are there any limitations to normalizing Slit #2 Wave Amplitude?

While normalization of Slit #2 Wave Amplitude is a useful tool, it is important to note that it cannot compensate for poor data quality or incorrect experimental procedures. It is also essential to select the appropriate normalization method for the specific type of signal being analyzed in order to avoid any potential errors or biases.