How do I normalize angular frequency for circuit optimization?

Fref is the reference frequency, Fmin and Fmax are the minimum and maximum frequencies respectively.In summary, the conversation discusses how to normalize angular frequency for optimizing circuits. One approach is to divide the actual value by a characteristic value, such as the natural frequency associated with the system. If the natural frequency is unknown, the frequencies of some reference level, such as the -3dB points, can be used to calculate the geometric mean, which can then be used as the reference frequency for normalization. It is noted that whether radians or hertz are used, the resulting normalized values will be the same.
anothnagle
Hey all,

This question may sound daft, but how do I normalize angular frequency? For a little background: I'm trying to optimize some circuits, and I've managed to write some successful code using the "Design of Ultra Wideband Antenna Matching Networks" book, but the code requires normalized angular frequency, whereas what I have are data for the normal frequency response of our circuits. I imagine I should be normalizing to radians/second, but I could be wrong. What would I do for this?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
"To normalize" usually means to divide the actual value by some characteristic value. Is there a natural frequency associated with this system? If so, normalized frequency might mean omega/omega_nat.

What can I do if I don't know the natural frequency? Can I normalize it at all?

For a broadband network that has no obvious centre frequency I would find the frequencies of some reference level such as the -3dB points and use the geometric mean of those as the reference. It does not matter if you use radians or hertz, normalisation will reduce them to the same values.
Fref = Sqrt(Fmin * Fmax)

for your question. Normalizing angular frequency means converting it to a dimensionless quantity by dividing it by a reference frequency. This is commonly done in circuit design to make calculations and comparisons easier. In your case, if your circuit data is in normal frequency response (in Hertz), you can normalize the angular frequency by dividing it by the reference frequency, usually the center frequency of your circuit. This will give you a dimensionless quantity that can be used in your code. If your circuit data is already in radians/second, then you can skip this step. I hope this helps.

What is "Normalize Angular Frequency"?

Normalize Angular Frequency is a mathematical concept used in signal processing and circuit analysis. It is a way of measuring the frequency of a signal relative to a reference frequency.

How is "Normalize Angular Frequency" calculated?

Normalize Angular Frequency is calculated by dividing the actual frequency of a signal by the reference frequency. This result is then multiplied by 2π to get the normalized angular frequency.

Why is it important to normalize angular frequency?

Normalizing angular frequency allows for easier comparison and analysis of signals with different frequencies. It also helps to simplify mathematical calculations in signal processing and circuit analysis.

What is the difference between normalized angular frequency and regular angular frequency?

Normalized angular frequency is a dimensionless quantity, while regular angular frequency is measured in radians per second. Normalized angular frequency is used to compare signals with different frequencies, while regular angular frequency is used to measure the rate of change of a signal over time.

How is "Normalize Angular Frequency" used in practical applications?

Normalized angular frequency is commonly used in various fields such as telecommunications, signal processing, and electrical engineering. It is used to analyze and design filters, control systems, and other electronic circuits. It is also used in the study of oscillatory phenomena in physics and mechanics.