1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normalize Angular Frequency

1. Oct 29, 2014 #1
    Hey all,

This question may sound daft, but how do I normalize angular frequency? For a little background: I'm trying to optimize some circuits, and I've managed to write some successful code using the "Design of Ultra Wideband Antenna Matching Networks" book, but the code requires normalized angular frequency, whereas what I have are data for the normal frequency response of our circuits. I imagine I should be normalizing to radians/second, but I could be wrong. What would I do for this?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2014 #2

OldEngr63

Gold Member

"To normalize" usually means to divide the actual value by some characteristic value. Is there a natural frequency associated with this system? If so, normalized frequency might mean omega/omega_nat.

4. Nov 5, 2014 #3
    What can I do if I don't know the natural frequency? Can I normalize it at all?

5. Nov 5, 2014 #4

Baluncore

Science Advisor

For a broadband network that has no obvious centre frequency I would find the frequencies of some reference level such as the -3dB points and use the geometric mean of those as the reference. It does not matter if you use radians or hertz, normalisation will reduce them to the same values.
    Fref = Sqrt(Fmin * Fmax)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook